PLEASE HELP!!!!! with a new computer

Core 2 DUO for recording is great, used on for years. 8 GB of RAM with a 64 bit Windows OS will reward you with faster boot times and less application ‘lag’. Now, the money, the video card and the SSD drive, mostly the video card which the foolish ‘crypto-currency’ scam has driven the price of GPUs to idiotic proportions.
The subsystem itself for a few tracks, not so much a big deal. I would stay far away from a non-intel processor, laptops or anything below an I5 intel (pc, not laptop) processor. I3’s they are made for essentially kiosk computers doing dedicated tasks, terrible waste of money and resources (producing them, much less someone actually buying one).
What people start to realize after skimping on a good SSD drive (size doesn’t matter..haha..) and a good dedicated GPU is that all the ‘fancy’ graphics in the audio software start to lag the proc because the ‘on board’ graphics is really using the main cpu and ram for resources which puts it in direct competition with the audio api’s, interfaces, etc.
Get a bare-bones computer, min, of intel i5 proc (the faster the better, cause SPEED, on the other hand, DOES matter : ), min 8gig of RAM, an SSD drive and then whatever you can afford for dedicated graphics card (controller, gpu, <insert more nerdology here>, etc etc etc) with a min of 1gig of VRAM. Nvidia Quadro series has some decent priced cards on Amazon.
Lastly, do what you can to build it yourself. It will come at a premium to get something worth paying for from Dell, HP, etc.
Remember, asking forums about pc components to nerds is like asking for the ‘best’ mic on a home recording forum, lot of conflicting ‘opinions’. Do your due research and then squeeze the trigger. It’s your investment, don’t second guess yourself once you arrive at a decision.
Best of luck

Back