Please help me decide on a preamp to record electric guitar

Rawr

Hey guys.

I play electric guitar, and recently decided to start recording. I'm planning to connect my guitar to my computer and use amp modelling software. But in order to do this, I first need to purchase a preamp (of course).

The problem is, I have no idea which preamp to get. I have come across a few preamps that I think are decent for a beginner, but I have some questions about them. (I'm sorry, but I can't post links yet because I have just registered.)

The first device I came across is the Behringer UCG102. Some say it's great, others say it's worthless.

Another one that I consider purchasing is the Behringer GDI21. This one seems to be of better quality than the one mentioned above. However, I'm not entirely sure if this can be used as a preamp. The description says it is a preamp, but some reviews say this is just an amp modeller, and you need a separate preamp in order to use it.

So what are your opinions? Are the above products any good, or can you recommend something else? I don't have a lot of money to spend; I can only spend around $50 on a preamp.

Also, some people say you can use a mic preamp for an electric guitar. Is this true? If so, I can pick up a (used) Behringer MIC2200 for $50,-. Will this be worth the price?

It seems my previous post was either too long or too specific. Either way, allow me to rephrase it.

I'm looking for a preamp so I can record my electric guitar on my computer. I want to do this by connecting my guitar to the preamp, and connecting the preamp to the line-in port of the computer. Unfortunately, I don't have more than $50,- to spend. Any suggestions for a decent preamp that I can afford?

Can microphone preamps be used to record an electric guitar? That is, plugging the guitar into the preamp, and connecting the preamp to the computer, without using a microphone.

Ok, the methods you're describing aren't quite ideal.

If you're adement about using the computers onboard sound, all you really need is a DI box as far as i know.

You want to take a hi-z signal and convert it to line level so that's a DI box.
If you have a guitar amplifier with a line output it could be used to do the same thing, but obviously the guitar preamp will change the sound somewhat.

It's not what you asked, but the recommendation (for quality) is to buy and audio interface with Hi-z/inst inputs.
There are a load of usb and firewire interfaces from the likes of tascam, presonus, etc which will do a great job of what you want.
Broadly speaking interfaces like that will have superior converters and, well, they're designed to do this whereas onboard soundcards are not.

The behringer you mentioned accepts line level or mic level which is no good for your guitar.
Using this would be the same as just plugging the guitar into the line input of the pc.

Thanks for your reply.

I wouldn't mind using a separate audio interface instead of my onboard sound card. However, audio interfaces are usually a lot more expensive than preamps, so I thought using my computer's sound card and a preamp would be a cheaper solution.

Do you need any other equipment if you are using a DI box? I've heard some people say that in order to use a DI box you first need to use a preamp to boost the signal from your guitar, otherwise the DI box won't get a good enough signal. Others say that a DI box can't be connected directly to the computer, but needs to be connected to an audio interface's line input instead.

Unfortunately, my guitar amplifier does not have a line output, only a headphone ouput.

I've had a look at some USB audio interfaces from Tascam and PreSonus as you suggested. Tascam had one interface that I can afford, but that one was only for use with iPhones, iPods and such (Tascam iXZ). As for PreSonus, the cheapest interface I could find costs $100,-, which is a bit more than I can spend at the moment.

Your computer should have a line in on its inferior soundcard that you could use a DI for. The DI I have is only about £30 or something. Cheap enough. As is being reccomended a lot round these parts lately, you could look at teh Tascam US-800 I think it is? Not sure how much it is going for in The Netehrlands, but the price has been dropped in the US to $99. That would allow you to just plug your guitar right in. Plus, even for the little extra money it will cost for a proper interface, you will notice the difference a lot. You get what you pay for a lot of the time in audio.

You'll do better to save a little money up and get something that will serve you in the future. The Tascam US800 @ $99 is hard to beat, but won't be available much longer at that price as it is discontinued.
You might find a used Line 6 Guitarport or Toneport for around $50, they serve as a soundcard as well, but lack the 'bells and whistles' of a full-blown audio interface.

Sorry, my mistake. A di box would take an instrument level input and feed out a microphone level output, so yeah, they'd generally be used before a mic pre.

Your best bet really is a cheap interface with instrument input built in.
Maybe you could get something used on ebay?An old tascam or maudio or something?

If you really can't stretch the budget right now, I'd seriously recommend just waiting until you can afford to.
I don't think you'd regret it at all.

Thanks everyone for your replies and advice.

It seems that it would indeed be best if I save up some more money and buy a USB audio interface. I'm not sure yet which one I'll get, but it will probably be an Alesis MultiMix 4 or a Tascam US-100.

Back