Please HELP! M-Audio Fast Track Pro, MBox 2 Mini, or Focusrite Saffire Pro 14?

suchjerry

Hi guys,

I want to record vocals at home using my laptop. I'm going to buy a RODE NT1A mic but struggling to decide on the audio interface.

I'm interested in M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Digidesign MBox 2 Mini, and Focusrite Saffire Pro 14. Which one goes best with the RODE NT1A? My budget is limited so i won't buy a preamp.

Many many thanks

Update:

Guys, thanks for the replies. I think I'll have to buy a USB interface as I just realised that my laptop doesn't have a firewire port nor a PCI port :(
My budget for this whole thing is about £300-£350. so i guess i'll only get the Rode NT1A mic and a value-for-money interface, no preamps, no compressors whatsoever. So please help me to decide which USB interface to buy. M-Audio Fast Track Pro or Digidesign MBox 2 Mini??? Thanks

PS: I use a Acer Aspire laptop with Vista Home Premium SP2 installed. Can anybody see any possible compatibility issues?

Last edited:
I use the Fast Track Pro, but only because it has analog inserts. This lets me add compression at the preamp, and saves CPU by not doing it with a plug in. Of course you'll need a rack mount compressor, but if your laptop isn't up to snuff, the external compressor is likely cheaper than upgrading the laptop.

I wonder if the Fast Track Pro preamps are as good as the highly spoke of DMP3?
Same company, same level of cost, same chip?....that would be great.

the MA FTPro has inserts and I love the A/B and Mono switch on the front.

An insert could allow some nice outboard expansion in the future, bypassing the units preamps.

I just figured out how to totally bypass the preamps in my current US122, using the return of the insert only, from he TRS cable. It was noticeable, and even my sons band noticed the change of adding a outboard pre, with touch of compression...

heres a 24 second talking snippet-comparison of the US122 and a Joe Meek VC3...using the SM7. I think it shows a good point for having a insert available.

Attachments

• joemeekVC3 tascam 122.mp3
    396.3 KB · Views: 17
You can hear the VC3 is what most people would call a lot 'better', and why I like inserts on my interfaces. I really wish everyone would have them. It's way less fiddling around later trying to EQ and add plug in compression to make it sound this full right off the hop. Using an EQ in the inserts I'd think would do the same thing, and still use the stock interface pre's. The essential quality to your spoken voice was there, but the VC3 made it 'more' and added a fullness the stock pre's lacked. How it sounds in the mix with other instruments playing is more important to me, but when you start 'better' you usually end up better.

my post disappeared?

anyway...the main diffference is possibly the Focusrite is Firewire, some laptops dont have this.

the other two are USB.....so the Focusrite USB 6 might be the better fit if the OP doesnt have firewire.

Well, if you have a Mac and are recording only vocals then I would go with the Apogee One. While it is only a single channel interface, the pre-amp and A/D converter are much better than any of the other interfaces you mentioned. "Quality over quantity" is my motto...

If you have a PC do need more than one channel, then I would go with the Focusrite Saffire Pro 14. The pre-amps are probably better than the ones in the Mbox and Fast Track Pro. PreSonus makes some very nice stuff too so be sure to check them out.

Hey guys, didn't want to make a new thread but I was also comparing the Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 to the Mbox 3. While budget isn't a problem (under $500 for AI) is there justification for getting the MBox 3 for $200+ more?

AT2035 mic looking for a 2nd microphone to record piano or background singer. I also want to eventually get a midi controller or keyboard station. I also have monitors and headphones. This is all I plan to use for the next year or two.

BTW, it's nice being back on homerecording. I joined years ago when I was a teen. Getting back into music now with a fulltime job and several credit cards =P

Last edited:
You can hear the VC3 is what most people would call a lot 'better', and why I like inserts on my interfaces. I really wish everyone would have them. It's way less fiddling around later trying to EQ and add plug in compression to make it sound this full right off the hop. Using an EQ in the inserts I'd think would do the same thing, and still use the stock interface pre's. The essential quality to your spoken voice was there, but the VC3 made it 'more' and added a fullness the stock pre's lacked. How it sounds in the mix with other instruments playing is more important to me, but when you start 'better' you usually end up better.

Hi ranjam, thanks for this. what is VC3? sorry i'm a newbie...

Hi ranjam, thanks for this. what is VC3? sorry i'm a newbie...

The Joe Meek pre/pro channel. Joe Meek, or the Chinese people making this stuff and putting Joe Meek's name on it, has/have a lot of excellent audio gear. Even if you swear to never use Chinese mics, Joe Meek is always good stuff.
I know Ted Fletcher (Joe's buddy and session singer) 'started' the line of equipment, and sold it all (along with the Joe Meek name) to PMI, but I am sure I have it right that now the USA PMI Audio Group isn't involved, or it is at least farmed out to China to make. The point is use it.
The audio sample CoolCat did is an example of how good the pre sounds. It may not be fair, also using an SM7 that you may not have $400 to buy yourself, and who knows if the VC3 was set up flat, without the 'extras', and to the same dB level as the stock FTP, but in the end, I thought it sounded better. Lots better. Can the FTP with an compressor and EQ inserted sound as good? Experimenting is the answer, and always my preferred way to learn, rather than have answers thrown at me. My best guess? Probably not, but in a mix, and on a budget, who would know? The VC3 also tosses in compression and an 'enhancer', so it's not a fair fight. It's a neat complete package, and just a step up from a simple interface.

I highly recommend the JoeMeek VC3 they are 150.00 used on Ebay. Nothing even close to that good for 150.00. It works great with an NT1a which tend to be thin and shrill, on the right setting it smooths out the sound beautifully. I use the focusrite 14. Super clean and quiet.

Update:

Guys, thanks for the replies. I think I'll have to buy a USB interface as I just realised that my laptop doesn't have a firewire port nor a PCI port
My budget for this whole thing is about £300-£350. so i guess i'll only get the Rode NT1A mic and a value-for-money interface, no preamps, no compressors whatsoever. So please help me to decide which USB interface to buy. M-Audio Fast Track Pro or Digidesign MBox 2 Mini??? Thanks

> You'll get software compressors with the "free" pack included... with either.

521US...325GBP

Rode is 142GBP($229)........

MBox mini3 is USB at Google product search is around 161GBP(us259)....ProTools LE...

MAudio FT Pro....USB...24/96...a lot more ins and outs...more bells & whistles.....102GBP(us165)...software pack??

MBox 2 is around 180US...its USB 1.1. I think....................I'd probably go for the MBOx mini3 over the 2.

> You'll get software compressors with the "free" pack included... with either.

521US...325GBP

Rode is 142GBP($229)........

MBox mini3 is USB at Google product search is around 161GBP(us259)....ProTools LE...

MAudio FT Pro....USB...24/96...a lot more ins and outs...more bells & whistles.....102GBP(us165)...software pack??

MBox 2 is around 180US...its USB 1.1. I think....................I'd probably go for the MBOx mini3 over the 2.

thanks. i googled mbox mini 3 but the cheapest price i found is £229. where did you see the £161? also, i use a Acer Aspire laptop with Vista Home Premium SP2 installed. Will the Mbox work on it? I heard some people having problem using Mbox on Vista.

"google products" site...is what i use these days. GC matches the lowest if in-stock and brand new (not refurb/open box price).

i dont know anything about the interfaces you mention. i'm looking myself (maybe some extra inputs/outputs, and ergonomics of the smaller desktop).... I had $300 in mind for this, I got the preamp and looking for a interface around $175, and the MAudio Pro is on my short list...but I am also thinking of going Firewire after talking to someone.

Back