Please help compare and define M-Audio 2496 v. Delta 410 v. Delta 44 v. Delta 1010

danielshawn

I've been reading all I can for 2 days on the boards here, now I want to build something where I can record my own vocals over MIDI tracks or a capella. (I am a male tenor, clasically trained, Renaissance/Baroque-oriented, with forrays into folk song, musical theater, and soft pop [think thin, bright, pure-- http://www.geocities.com/danielshawn_99 and find the very bottom link titled "Come, Holy Ghost, In Love" [recorded with SB Live Value and the Radio Shack special mic!])

Let's talk soundcards! I think I've listed them in ascending order of price and model hiearchy. I've been listening to you guys talk about all these models, but sometimes the spec jargon baffles me and I don't think I get the complete picture. I will provide the model and its specs with my questions in parentheses!

My computer is a P4 1.5gHz with 768k RAM

AUDIOPHILE 2496 - Entry Level Sound Card $149
24-bit 96 kHz multitrack recording
MIDI recording and playback
Digital transfers; Digital mastering - (What does this mean exactly?)
LP/cassette-to-CD transfers - (So, I can plug in a tape deck and record it to my computer and late burn it to a CD? Couldn't I do that with any sound card?)
Computer-based Home Theater systems
Computer-based Hi-Fi systems

Specifications
2 in/2 out analog interface on RCA jacks - (For the purposes I outlined above, it doesn't seem I will need to have lots of inputs. I will record one vocal track or one piano track at a time. Does the output connect to the Mixer? What else would it connect to? Why should I want to have more than 2 outputs?)
S/PDIF input and output - (This is related to connecting to other digital audio devices? Such as what?)
MIDI input and output (16 channels)
Dynamic Range: D/A 104.0dB (a-weighted), A/D 100.4dB (a-weighted) - (D/A means digital to analog and db refers to sound level, so during conversion the volume will be limited to the specified db?)
THD: less than 0.002% - (What's THD?)
Freq. Response: 22Hz - 22kHz, -0.4,-0.4dB - (This relates to pitch? I don't think I need to worry about hitting any ultra high or low notes.)

DELTA 410 - Entry Level Sound Card $149
Convenient and powerful routing possibilities
Unsurpassed fidelity
Superior driver technology
The broadest compatibility of any card - (These four sound like fluff. Is this any different than the AP 2496?)
Zero latency monitoring
Expandability
Bit-for-bit accurate digital transfers via S/PDIF
24-bit 96 kHz recording
Powerful digital mixing and routing.
Control over SCMS (Serial Copy Management System). (Should I know about this?)

Delta 410 Specifications
4x10 24-bit/96khz full-duplex recording interface. (So, now I have more inputs and outputs; what do I do with all those outputs? Full-duplex recording interface translates to what? Is this different from what the AP 2496 does?)
PCI card with break-out cable to gold-plated RCA jacks.
8 Analog Outs, configurable for +4dB and -10dB unbalanced signal levels.
2 Analog Ins, configured for -10dB unbalanced signal levels.
S/PDIF digital I/O on gold-plated RCA connectors located on the PCI card. A variety of settings, including AC3 or DTS surround and copy protection schemes, may be configured via the Delta Control Panel software.
High dynamic range (A-weighted measured): D/A 101.5 dB, A/D 99.6 dB. - (These values are less than the AP 2496; is that good or bad)
Low distortion (measured THD @ 0dBFS): A/D and D/A less than 0.002%.
Frequency Response

22-22kHz, -0.2,-0.4dB @48kHz
22-40kHz, -0.2,-0.7dB @96kHz - (AP 2496 doesn't differentiate; the 410 is superior in this regard?)
All data paths support up to 24bit/96kHz performance, no upgrades necessary.
Comprehensive digital mixing, routing, and monitoring capabilities with included Delta Control Panel software. (Does this mean I no longer need a separate physical mixer? Surely a dedicated mixer, even the entry level Yamaha would do me better?)
Hardware sample-accurate sync will allow linking of multiple Delta units.

Delta 44 - (Mid?) Level Soundcard $299

Features
4x4 24 bit/96kHz full-duplex recording interface.
Configured as a PCI Host card with external audio break-out box.
4x4 analog break-out box accepts balanced or unbalanced connections on 1/4" tip-ring-sleeve (TRS) jacks.
Analog I/O configurable for +4dB or -10dB signal levels.
Measured D/A specs: 103dB (A-weighted) dynamic range, 0.0015% THD @ 0dBFS.
Measured A/D specs: 99dB (A-weighted) dynamic range, 0.0023% THD @ 0dBFS
All data paths support up to 24 bit/96kHz performance, no upgrades necessary.
Powerful digital mixing, routing and monitoring capabilities.

(As in the previous examples, I understand very little of what was just said above. I see I have the same inputs and fewer outputs. The connectors are now XLR-based instead of RCA-based. This is indicative of a higher quality connection [provided interconnects of the same quality are used?] I understand, due to previous hi-fi stereo research, that DACs can be of greatly varying quality; when does this come into play for the M-Audio cards?)

Delta 1010 - (High?) Level Soundcard $799

Performance
All data paths support all bit widths and sampling rates up to 24-bit/96kHz.
High dynamic range (A-weighted measured): D/A 108db, A/D 109db. - (This is way higher than any other card, but is it useful in and of itself?)
Low distortion (measured THD @0dBFS): D/A less than 0.0015%, A/D less than 0.001%.
Hardware

Configured as PCI host card with external rack-mount unit, which houses all converters.
8x8 analog I/O is balanced or unbalanced on 1/4" TRS connectors.
+4/-10 operation, individually switchable on the external rack-mount unit.
S/PDIF I/O on PCI host card.
Full duplex operation.
Word Clock I/O. - (What's a Word Clock?)
MIDI I/O.

(This card, by the specs, doesn't seem to offer that much more than the last card, aside from more I/Os. Surely the components are of better quality [which is quite a nebulous thing.]) I understand it comes with that fancy rack and a bundle of software that I know absolutely nothing about.

So that's the breakdown of four different M-Audio offerings. I know there's much more in the world than M-Audio, but it seemed a resonably good place to start and get all my definitions down and to better nail down exactly what I need. The main factors seem to be number/type of I/Os and quality of DACs. All seem adequate in the number of I/Os. I don't think I need S/PDIF digital, necessarily. I don't know how to actively make a comparison of the different DACs :(. As far as price, I'm not comfortable spending $800 yet. I AM comfortable spending around $400 give or take a $100. But if I'm better off spending the $150 for the 410/2496 and sinking the rest into a better mic, that's useful information too!

I know this is a long post, but I like to be informed as i can before I make a decision. Thanks to all who offer help. Hopefully I end up helping someone besides myself at the same time.

Sincerely,
DanielShawn

Bulls Hit said:
If you want midi, then the Delta 44 is out.

Given you've no real need for a lot of inputs, the 1010 is probably overkill.

Best bet would be the Delta 410 which you can get now at www.musiciansfriend.com for $99
Mind you, the 410 doesn't have midi either.
BUT playing back midi files doesn't require midi i/o so it's all academic.

Daniel,
Looking at your requirements, just get either a 410 or an AP if you do need midi. But if you can get a 410 for $99 you can add a separate usb-midi interface for like $40 later and still spend less than the $149 for an AP.

But if I'm better off spending the $150 for the 410/2496 and sinking the rest into a better mic, that's useful information too!
That's a good way to go.

christiaan said:
Mind you, the 410 doesn't have midi either.
BUT playing back midi files doesn't require midi i/o so it's all academic.

Thanks for your replies. guys. I probably should've mentioned that my existing SB Live Value has a MIDI port, so I can retain that, as I understand, should I wish to plug into my electric piano.

So, the consensus is that the 410 and the AP 2496 are equivalent really excepting the one's MIDI capablitiy and the others increased number of I/Os.

For someone who had more complicated needs, what use would he have for 8 outputs? Into what would they all plug?

Thanks again!
--DanielShawn

<<So, the consensus is that the 410 and the AP 2496 are equivalent really excepting the one's MIDI capablitiy and the others increased number of I/Os. >>

actually, i've always heard that the 2496's converters were better, but that's hearsay. never used the 410, but i've used a 2496 for 3+ years now and have been thrilled with its performance. spend the extra $50, you'll be glad you did. i'd rate the 2496 just a bit higher than "entry level".

i just recently upgraded to the delta 1010 (the outboard rack unit, NOT the LT), and can hear a definite difference. it's cleaner and the noise floor is lower. much better unit.

<<what use would he have for 8 outputs? Into what would they all plug?>>

what to do with all those outputs? one pair goes to the monitors, one pair goes to the headphone amp, one pair goes to the reference comparison stereo, and one pair is for future expansion. i wish i had more, actually.

Here's a word to the wise--buy more than what you think you need. you WILL spend more money on this and you WILL wish you'd "bought something a little bigger instead".

wade

PS--i actually run both cards simultaneously to give me 10 inputs under win2k.

PPS--avoid anything reading "soundblaster". they blast the sound alright......

<<what use would he have for 8 outputs? Into what would they all plug?>>

what to do with all those outputs? one pair goes to the monitors, one pair goes to the headphone amp, one pair goes to the reference comparison stereo, and one pair is for future expansion. i wish i had more, actually.

What is the reference comparison stero you wrote about? Is that just another source for you to listen to what you've recorded? I've read about the need monitors and headphones. Did you say you plug your headphones into an amp too? Why is that?

Thanks for your help!
--DanielShawn

The converters of the AP and the 410 are comparable, it's as simple as that. If there is any difference in quality, it's only measurable and not hearable so don't let your choice depend on 'hearsay'.
Why 8 outputs?
Some people like to mix their music analog with outboard effects and plug the outputs in a mixer. And they're great to drive a 5.1 or even 7.1 surround system.

There is one issue with the 410 that I remember now (the 1010LT has it too so I've heard) and that is that the unused (and unterminated) outputs on the cablesnake -can- cause some hiss. I experienced it a few times, I've seen it mentioned on this board by someone else as well but I don't know if it's common.
Not to scare you away from it but it's just something you should know.
In my case I usually didn't even have the snake connected to the card because I mainly use the spdif i/o and an external converter.

Back