[Please Help!] ASIO Time overload Problem

elenore19

Slowing becoming un-noob.
Hi everyone. It's been a while since I've posted here and I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this.
Problem:
It's some sort of glitch.
I can't make it a minute without it happening. Most of the time more frequent. It sounds like static, stutters, puts a static thing in the recording track itself and sometimes skips/delays a beat or two.
The glitch is connected to the ASIO Time Overload bar that I see on the main transport. It peaks into the red overload part every time the glitch occurs.
It's a huge pain and is extremely infuriating to other people I'm recording (luckily they're all my friends.)
Still- I'm looking for some much needed help.

My theory:
I've made the bad decision to turn it off with a power strip a couple too many times, which is my theory as to what caused the problem. It only does the glitch when running a DAW. Everyday computer use runs great through it, no glitches in the sound.

Relevant Gear:
Windows 10. (Pretty beastly gaming computer..Let me know if you need specific stats)
I'm using Cubase 5 with a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 interface.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Mods, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

This section is fine. No worries.

Some suggestions....

It sounds like the buffer/stream/samples/whatchamacallit settings might be a little low. Bump it up a bit.

There might be an issue with running Cubase 5 with a 64bit machine, if that is the case. Look at upgrading Cubase.

There might be some plugs that have compatibility issues with 32bit and 64bit. I'm just guessing here because of the legacy version of Cubase. Look at upgrading your plugs.

Old Cubase, yes, likely.
You can download a demo of the full fat Cubase if you have a dongle or you can grab a cut down version that runs dongle free. Either version should prove out the problem. Or, try Reaper.

Dave.

It could also be a disk reading thing, i.e. it can't read stuff off (or put stuff on) the disk fast enough. This could happen if (a) the drive you are using is nearly full, or (b) it hasn't been defragged for a while.

Try doing a basic cleanup of everything and see what happens.

It could also be a disk reading thing, i.e. it can't read stuff off (or put stuff on) the disk fast enough. This could happen if (a) the drive you are using is nearly full, or (b) it hasn't been defragged for a while.

Try doing a basic cleanup of everything and see what happens.

+1 AND! (VERY old advice this) make sure Windows sounds, bloops and bleeps are turned off and disable the On Board Sound card. The latter should not matter these days but sometimes does!

Dave.

Back