Playing 88.2KHz audio with 48KHz soundcard

Dadaist

hey all!

I want get MIDI controller for me and use it with Ableton Live playing live.
Controller (called Novation Twitch) specification says:
  • Outputs 24bit at sample rates of 44.1/48KHz

But I make my music with sample rate of 88.2KHz (Ableton Live).
And when i'm trying change project's sample rate in Ableton' preferences (before converting to audio) to 48KHz for exmpl. it sounds a bit differently... mainly for synths.

Wondering, how it going change the output sound when Twitch will convert my 88.2KHz to 48KHz with its soundcard?
Is it something i should worry about?

Just curious, why you would record at 88.2 in the first place?

:eatpopcorn:

;)

Hey....I use to record at 88.2 all the time, and to tell the truth, if it wasn't for the Superior Drummer tracks that come at 44.1, I probably would still be recording at 88.2...but when I got SD, and then used it on some things, I didn't see the point in trying to do other tracks at 88.2 in the same project....though it wasn't complicated to do that, I just figured WTF, I might as well just K.I.S.S!!!

Now....if you want to get into the whole sound quality thing between lower and higher sample rates in this thread.....mmmmm.....hold on, let me call out for some food, 'cuz this thread is gonna get long....but I ain't going there, I'll just watch....and I guess the follow-up question would be -- why not record at 88.2...? :D

Just curious, why you would record at 88.2 in the first place?

Come to it experimentally.. Some synthesised and processed sounds sounds more rich for my ears, especially distorted/saturated bass and mid range..
I can hear the difference between 44.1/48KHz and 88.2KHz. Same time I can't hear any difference between 88.2 and 96KHz.

Come to it experimentally.. Some synthesised and processed sounds sounds more rich for my ears, especially distorted/saturated bass and mid range..
I can hear the difference between 44.1/48KHz and 88.2KHz. Same time I can't hear any difference between 88.2 and 96KHz.

One reason that some people find a difference at the higher sampling rates is because most modestly prices converters are optimized for 44.1/48kHz. Human nature being what it is if they CAN tell a difference it HAS to be better don't it? Stands to reason!

Double blind is the only way to go.

Dave.

Back