Planning on upgrading soon - can you recommend anything?

FattMusiek

First, allow me to apologize for posting a new thread for such a common question. For nearly three years now I've been using a Delta 44 audio interface and a Behringer mixer with four XLR inputs. My setup, although minimal, has served me well over the years but I've decided that it's time to upgrade and to enter a new phase in my recordings. I want a computer-based setup that allows me to record at very least 10 tracks simultaneously; I'm thinking an audio interface with at least 10 inputs (Delta 10/10, Echo Layla etc) and a new mixer (perhaps Mackie or Soundcraft). I've looked into the Delta 10/10, but I fear it will merely be more of the same only with more inputs and outputs. I really need your guys' help on this as I haven't been exposed to many options.

Here is an idea of what I'm after:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/s=computer/search/detail/base_pid/240115/

Thanks for your time!

I should also mention that my budget is approximately $2,000. I read the "Best Audio Interface" thread on this forum and from what I gathered the Delta 10/10 is reliable, but doesn't sound as good as other soundcards. That's not scoring points with me. Can the 10/10 be used in conjunction with the Delta 44 for even more inputs? The MOTU interfaces look very nice, but I keep reading of these "horror stories" about their crappy customer service and compatibility issues with PCs. I've also read that if you use an analog mixer with the MOTU 828mkII you will get a bad hiss. The RME Hammerfall Multiface seemed to get some support in the "Best Interface" thread. Can I expand upon it if I decide I want more inputs/outputs? Does it sound as good as people say?

I simply want a reliable and great sounding interface for $1,000 or less (I could go a bit over $1,000, but it would take a good argument). I need to take a new mixer and mics into account as well.

The RME Multiface Hammerfall (that's a pretty good name!) can be had here. Since you have no apparent prejudice regarding Behringer gear, add this and you'll be all set.

There's also the Mackie Onyx series to consider --- they have a firewire interface that is available as an add-on, but that combo will be substantially higher in price than the two pieces above...

Thanks for the reply ssscientist! The Hammerfall has caught my eye; everyone seems to have something good to say about it. I do have a slight prejudice against Behringer though. Behringer has always sounded "stale" to me and I'm trying to escape that (at least that's the impression I've gotten from years of using this Behringer mixer). I'm not sure I understand the Hammerfall unit fully. If I buy it and a mixer, will I be set? How come you recommended a preamp unit and a mixer?

If anyone has anything to say, please do; I need to make a decision soon and I greatly appreciate everyone's help!

Last edited:
FattMusiek said:
How come you recommended a preamp unit and a mixer?
The Behringer unit is a rack of 8 XLR ins tied to simple preamps, then to an ADAT-format light pipe out. The Hammerfall has an ADAT light pipe input --- the Behringer pre's are not premium quality, but they do sound anywhere from good to very good depending on who you read/listen to. Larry Crane from TapeOp is a fan, as are many other non-snobby types.

Bulls Hit has two more you should look at too...

Thanks for the replies you guys. The Presonus Firepod looks very nice. I'm more intriuged by the Firepod than the Tascam though, I must say. How does the sound quality of the Firepod stand up to Layla, MOTU, and other popular interfaces? Would this make a mixer unnecessary? I'm a bit confused by the input jacks on the front side; they look like line-ins and not XLR.

I am a bit sheltered in terms of knowledge on the specifics of these units as I've
had the exact same basic setup for so long. I encourage anyone with anything to say to jump in; I want to make this purchase last years to come.

the firepod's a pretty cool unit. yes this would elminiate the need for a mixer IF you were only using the mixer for preamps. if you like the output routing of the mixer, then you may want to keep it around. The sound quality is apparently pretty dang good. The only thing that i can see as a down side is that you can not use the firepod with other soundcards if you ever wanted more inputs. I read this in a recent post but i'm not sure if it's actually true so you may wanna research it.

I'm in need of last minute help; I have to make a decision soon! Do you need to buy a seperate RME PCI card for the RME Hammerfall Multiface? I've always figured I would need a mixer for the preamps even with the audio interface's preamps for some reason. The Tascam DAWs are very nice looking, but would I be confined to mixing on that? I want to continue PC based recording. As I said before, I need at least 10 ins/outs; I don't want to compromise with getting an interface that allows me to record only 8 tracks at once. I want to know all my options before I lay down this much money. Which sounds better, the RME Hammerfall Multiface or the Presonus Firepod? Does the MOTU 24 I/O compare in terms of sound? Does it work well with Windows? (I've heard that MOTU devices aren't best paired with Windows). Can you use it with any recording software? Currently, the Firepod is winnng me over. Please help me make a decision guys!

Last edited:
The Tascam FW1884 will still let you mix in the DAW, but it acts as a control surface so you can control the software knobs & faders with the reals ones on the 1884. Plus they're motorised so when you record automation in the DAW, the faders move in tandem on playback.

With the firepod you still only get 8 analog inputs, but you can sync a couple together for 16 ins

Back