Planning to buy Headphones. NEed opinions !

Aakash

I am planning to buy headphones for my little home studio. Need opinions which to go for. How about Senniser 280 Pro? I do not have much budget as of now. I need something on which I can mix my tracks. Please Help !

Newb here myself but generally, try to avoid using headphones for mixing. Look around.....you'd be better of with monitors.....consider used as well. I bought an entry-level set of M-Audio AV40's for $65 used. You'll still have enough left to get a pair of headphones for your personal listening.

Always remember opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them.
After that, take a general consensus survey. Some people mix with headphones, some don't. It'll be personal, and what works for you. I do both. I can start with headphones, and end up on monitors for a 'Yeah, I'm really done this time!' mix. I have a few sets of headphones and monitors, just to get an idea how it'll sound on different 'systems'.
When I shop for headphones, I look at specs. 'Sensitivity' is how loud they'll be. More is better. 'Maximum Input' is how much of a signal they can take before they start to distort. Again, more is better.
Looking at the specs for the 280 Pro, a sensitivity of 102dB means they'll be loud, so I'd imagine I'd hear less of the outside world, if that makes sense. They only take a 1/2 watt input, which on the one hand means you don't have to crank your tracks up too much, but your levels will be up there a bit. That means not much room to go further, if that makes sense. But those specs do me fine. If it is really critical, or the kids are going ape shit in the living room, add a headphone amp. The cheap Behringer one works fine.
The 280 Pro is under $100, so I'd try them. They're probably fine.

Whether and how to mix with headphones is a subject that's been discussed before, and probably doesn't warrant a rehash.

In any event, you probably need headphones anyway, so your main question is relevant.

Headphones are more subjective, even, than other equipment. What sounds one way to one person can sound quite different to someone else. Fortunately, stores often have them set up so that you can try several different ones.

Some popular models in the reasonable price range, off the top of my head, are:
- Sony 7506 (plus some variants with different model names that are essentially the same)
- Audio-Technica ATH-M40
- AKG 240

Sony 7506 - 106dB, 1 watt input, $100
Audio-Technica ATH-M40 - 100dB, 1.6 watt input, $90
AKG 240 Mk II - 91dB, 200mW input, $100

Remember a 3dB increase in sensitivity makes it seem like you have twice the power, but not twice the volume. That's 10dB.
So from that, I'd absolutely be all over the Sony 7506's. Twice the volume of the AKG's, and they can take five times the input signal before they start to distort. I'd be using them when I did drum takes, and the 'live' drums wouldn't be drowning out the 'tape'. If you're in the room with a blaring Marshall stack, you'd probably still hear the tape. The AKG's? Not a chance.

So from that, I'd absolutely be all over the Sony 7506's. Twice the volume of the AKG's, and they can take five times the input signal before they start to distort. I'd be using them when I did drum takes, and the 'live' drums wouldn't be drowning out the 'tape'. If you're in the room with a blaring Marshall stack, you'd probably still hear the tape. The AKG's? Not a chance.

The Sony doesn't have quite the bass response of the AKG, but the bass is punchier - which, to my ears, is better. They were a little bright for my taste at first because I had been using the AKG for a long time before I tried them. And they are definitely loud.

Ive got a wide variety of headphones. I have the Senn 280's and while they are good for tracking, I find them not so good for mixing, when you need to be quiet. Plus the are extremely tight fitting. Must be my large noggin. I rescently picked up a set of KRK headphones and they are quite nice and the same price as the Senn's. But if money is no object, the Senn HD600 or 650's are fantastic.

Sony 7606 are really good headphones, but the foam earpiece will wear out quick! I have never been able to do a good mix on headphones. My next phones will be the MoreMe headphones for tracking. $22.00 ea MoreMe Studio Headphones

Sony 7606 are really good headphones, but the foam earpiece will wear out quick! I have never been able to do a good mix on headphones. My next phones will be the MoreMe headphones for tracking. $22.00 ea MoreMe Studio Headphones

Moreme headphones are great for tracking and at 22 bucks you don't feel as bad when they break.

Well, headphones are nice to have, and at a really cheap budget, the MoreMe's are good. I probably wouldn't mix on them; heck, the only reason I mix on headphones is because I currently can't afford monitors.

I'd say that the 7506's are great. I own them myself, but I've also LOVED the ATH-M50's, although those may be a bit over budget...

I try not to mix on headphones, but I do track and edit on them. Sometimes when it's late and I can't crank the base I use them. The best pair I've ever owned is the "KRK's KNS 8400". I tried ten or so pairs at Guitar Center before landing on these.

Not bad for the money.

Well, headphones are nice to have, and at a really cheap budget, the MoreMe's are good. I probably wouldn't mix on them; heck, the only reason I mix on headphones is because I currently can't afford monitors.

I'd say that the 7506's are great. I own them myself, but I've also LOVED the ATH-M50's, although those may be a bit over budget...

Yup they do cost more but IMO its worth saving up the extra lil bit for the ATH-M50s then the 7506's.

Back