Piracy out of Control

There you go again with the "theft" and "stealing".
We are not talking about stealing. We are talking about copyright infringement.

BIG F'NG difference.

Webster Dictionary:
Stealing:
1 : to take the property of another wrongfully and especially as an habitual or regular practice.

If someone downloads a copy of a software program, no property changed hands, stolen or otherwise. Not even the original purchaser of the software item lost "property", since he still has it and the company who made it didn't either, since the the box and original media was purchased to begin with. The person who originally bought it purchased a license to use a specific software app. Whover purchased that license still has it. Nobody broke in his house and stole it from him.

If your drivers license expires, and you still drive, are you "stealing a drivers license" from your state? uh, no. The state is missing out on funds because you are driving without a license. Doesn't change anything. If you are driving without a license, then you ARE breaking the law. The law that states driving without a license is against the law. That doesn't mean you stole anything from the state you live in. You are not a thief, and it most likely is not even a blemish on your mortal soul. You can break a law, and not be immoral or a bad person. I do not know why some of you can not grasp that. According to the digital millenium act, copyright enfringment IS against the law. If you do it, you might get yourself in trouble, you might be a naughty boy. shame shame for breaking the law. But you are not a thief. You guys need to get that through your head.

amra

amra said:
If your drivers license expires, and you still drive, are you "stealing a drivers license" from your state? uh, no. The state is missing out on funds because you are driving without a license. Doesn't change anything. If you are driving without a license, then you ARE breaking the law. The law that states driving without a license is against the law. That doesn't mean you stole anything from the state you live in. You are not a thief, and it most likely is not even a blemish on your mortal soul. You can break a law, and not be immoral or a bad person. I do not know why some of you can not grasp that. According to the digital millenium act, copyright enfringment IS against the law. If you do it, you might get yourself in trouble, you might be a naughty boy. shame shame for breaking the law. But you are not a thief. You guys need to get that through your head.
riiiiiight....a priest molests little boys but not little girls and hes considered to be a child molester and gay but hes not really gay..hes just a child molester, right? well thats open to discussion.

copyright enfringement. someone takes your "works" and uses them without your consent. and lets say that you would let them use it for the small price of $50 but they dont go through the proper channels to get your consent and they just download it and use it for free.....ya just lost $50 cause someone was supposed to pay you and didnt and they still got the product.....stealing. the law may not call it that but thats pretty much what everyone else says.... you say "po-tay-toe", i say "po-tah-toe"; you say copyright enfringement, i say stealing; you say You guys need to get that through your head. and i say you need to get the stick out ya ass.

I'm so sick of these "piracy" threads that I could puke. Who really gives a shit whether Joe Blow paid for his software or not? How is an argument that nobody can win helpful to anyone? This is just a waste of a good forum. :(

its life? just being human? sometimes some of the people on the down end of the conversation (software developers) give you their point of view. sure its one sided but its a point of view from a real person it affects...but that usually doesnt stop anyone.

i agree

i said its same bowl different soup...someone gives u a cd that they paid for you to make u a copy..and u make it....the labels dont know..they not hurt. you just listening to music.....and thats all..i

maybe it would seem different if it was your CD and the person that copied it didn't pay YOU for your CD. I am certain it would seem different than, especially if the sales of that CD were directly tied to your livelihood and your record contract.

shiatzu said:
my main argument for try-before-you-buy is only valid when the demo software is lacking in features available to the full version. for example, i downloaded a demo that had a 30 minute time limit and had no audio mixdown capability.. so i wasn't able to finish a mix and try it out on a few stereos (what i'd do with a full program), so the demo was useless to me. a full, cracked, version of the program gives a better picture of what the software is capable of; granted, it's totally on the honour system.

i'll go on record as saying that anyone who makes a profit using cracked or illegal software/plugins deserves to go to jail.

IMO it doesn't even need to be based on whether a profit is made or not. people downloading games don't always do it to make profits but they are just as greasy.

Back