Picking up the radio on my DAW..

Armistice

Son of Yoda
This is more a curiosity thing... the issue only happened once and has disappeared, still it'd be nice to know what caused it in case it comes back..

So I have all my gear set up... 'puter, interface, monitors, monitors etc... as normal, after having moved it to the lounge room and back... and I'm doing recording and I can hear through the monitors, very faintly, what sounds like a radio station, or a walkie talkie or something... to vague to make out.

It didn't appear to record on any track I was doing, and it wasn't dependent upon me playing anything back - it was just there all the time.

I kept working. The next day, and every day since, when I turned the system on... nothing. Back to normal. I didn't touch anything or move any cables on the system itself... obviously I disconnected mics / cables etc used in the actual recording and put them away.

I guess I'm curious as to whether I just happened to, via a unique configuration of whatever mic leads / mics / geographic layout I was using at the time, created a bit of an antenna thing that picked something up... or whether it might be something else...

I guess I'm curious as to whether I just happened to, via a unique configuration of whatever mic leads / mics / geographic layout I was using at the time, created a bit of an antenna thing that picked something up

Probably something to do with a particular cable's shielding letting it act like an antenna. And the mic you connect it to may be acting as a loading coil or something.

I have enough trouble picking up radio on the radio at my house, when you find out how you did it can you let me know. :facepalm:

Alan.

Probably something to do with a particular cable's shielding letting it act like an antenna. And the mic you connect it to may be acting as a loading coil or something.

Yeah, thought as much. I just wish I remembered exactly what I had set up, but I was doing all sorts of stuff that day...

Cheers...

Move closer to civilisation witz... :laughings:

Actually I live in a city, however I live right on the coast and there is hill between me and the transmitters so it's very hit and miss. Not that there is much on the radio anyway LOL.

Alan.

Actually I live in a city, however I live right on the coast and there is hill between me and the transmitters so it's very hit and miss. Not that there is much on the radio anyway LOL.

Alan.

Maybe a shortwave bounce?

It is called Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) and it is most commonly caused by improper grounding of equipment. You probably had things plugged into wall plates that aren't grounded properly or you bypassed the ground plugs somewhere.

Another major point that this can happen is at the speaker wires. A .1mf capacitor across the leads will usually fix it if this is the cause.

Outside of these, using unshielded wires for low level (line) between equipment may make this happen.

Back