Picking a computer for recording.

McShredsAlot

Hey everyone. It's gotten to the point where my laptop isn't able to withstand the workload of recording. Well, it can but once I start putting plugins on my track it starts to skip and glitch really bad. even with 90% of the tracks frozen. So I think it's time for a new one.

Do you have any recommendations on a certain one? I prefer a laptop because I like to take it places and still be able to mix. And I'm not trying to press on the whole "Mac vs PC" debate. Both sides are considered. Lets say I have 3 or 4 vocal tracks all souped with big VSTs like UAD or waves, 3 guitars running through amplitube or some other amp sim, Ez or superior drummer, all with EQ's and compressors. Which computer is gunna be able to handle it all without going crazy? Lets like 1100 dollar budget. Thanks guys!

Are you sure your current lappy is setup to be used to it's full potential? Maxed out on ram? Upgradeable HDD? External drive for projects/audio files?

Definitely not. It's an HP dv6 model. It's about 2 years old. Part of it too is I'm gunna be going to the musicians institute in the fall too so I want to have a laptop primarily for recording and use my current one for school, and other random things.

Definitely not. It's an HP dv6 model. It's about 2 years old. Part of it too is I'm gunna be going to the musicians institute in the fall too so I want to have a laptop primarily for recording and use my current one for school, and other random things.

Given that you're independently wealthy I'd pop for a top-of-the-line MacBook Pro.

I'd say any stock PC laptop would handle that load these days. Look for one that has more RAM and avoid gaming machines would be my advice. YMMV...

Check before jumping, if you're going into the PC world, that your recording program and all your VSTs etc. are supported as 64 bit and Win 8 if you elect either of those choices.

I'm definitely nowhere near being independently wealthy. My budget is an estimate on what I think my tax return will be.

Any idea how to check up on the compatability with 64 bit and windows 8?

I'd say any stock PC laptop would handle that load these days. Look for one that has more RAM and avoid gaming machines would be my advice. YMMV...

Check before jumping, if you're going into the PC world, that your recording program and all your VSTs etc. are supported as 64 bit and Win 8 if you elect either of those choices.

I am currently running a 64 bit version of windows on my current laptop. Not sure about the windows 8 compatibility though

I recently purchased a Toshiba, with I5, 7200RPM drive. THIS ONE, for $700 at Best Buy. I lucked out, cuz someone screwed up the pricing cards. :)

I have not yet tested it with a full out, taxing project, but I would gladly give it a shove if you would like.

I have actually been meaning to do so anyway.

I recently purchased a Toshiba, with I5, 7200RPM drive. THIS ONE, for $700 at Best Buy. I lucked out, cuz someone screwed up the pricing cards. :)

I have not yet tested it with a full out, taxing project, but I would gladly give it a shove if you would like.

I have actually been meaning to do so anyway.

That'd be cool. Im curious to hear how it goes. Maybe my laptop is just losing it's edge. I do virus scans all the time and clean ups and stuff. But I have an I5, 4g of ram and i believe its 2.68ghz that goes up to 3.1. And 250gb hdd. Im thinking of going for at least an i5 but maybe 6 or 8 gigs of ram. Bigger hard drive. Maybe even a ssd since theyre selling laptops with both now

That'd be cool. Im curious to hear how it goes. Maybe my laptop is just losing it's edge. I do virus scans all the time and clean ups and stuff. But I have an I5, 4g of ram and i believe its 2.68ghz that goes up to 3.1. And 250gb hdd. Im thinking of going for at least an i5 but maybe 6 or 8 gigs of ram. Bigger hard drive. Maybe even a ssd since theyre selling laptops with both now

Ok, loaded up Cubase 7 32-bit into the Toshiba laptop. Using my Tascam US1800, and an external HDD for project (audio files), I loaded in a recent project. 50 audio tracks, and added 8 instances of IR reverbs. 6 Guitar synths, and two VSTi synths. Plus who knows how many instances of compression, delay and other stuff I was using in the mix. I also still had internet connected, Aero still on, Microsoft Essentials and Superantispyware running.

Less than 50% CPU usage shown in the Cubase performance meter. Sure that would be even less, if I optimized the lappy for recording.

I know that I could do a remote recording with the laptop now. :)

Back