Physical buttons for digital interface?

benrec

Hi -

I know you can assign keyboard keys in recording programs, but I was wondering if someone makes a physical key pad for recording specifically for this purpose.

What I envision is a keypad with play, stop, pause, record, forward, rewind - that look like actual tape machine keys. Those keys could be assigned to your recording software.

Does someone make something like this?

1.jpg

Ideally, it would illuminate the buttons on press - especially a red Record button.

Last edited:
If you use a DAW to record.........and an Audio Interface.........you can get what's called a Controller that would do all that and more. There are some audio Interfaces and Control Units all in one. The Zoom R1-6 and R24 come to mid but I'm sure there are more. There could be other options for you but I'm not aware of them.

I already have an interface that I like - I just want to control the software.

I suppose I could buy a USB number pad and re-label them, but it's not ideal.

I might also build one, but it would take more effort than I have to make it illuminate while recording.

Ah - yes - that's pretty close. I'll check that one out - although it's not as simple as I'd like - my preference is very few buttons - like a tape deck.

Take a look at the PreSonus Faderport. I love mine. They have a single-fader model, and an 8-fader model.

What you want is what is known as a "Control Surface" They start out cheap under $100 and run the gamut on up to thousands of dollars...Here's a link to Sweetwater with the search result for "control surface" sorted from low to high... Enjoy the journey! As Tadpui pointed out...the presonus faderport seems to be a VERY popular entry level control surface @ $130

Back