Phantom power

chuckwagon

Whats steps do I need to take with phantom power. If it is on do all connected mics need to be condenser mics? Can condenser mics and dynamic mics be run through the mixer/interface at the same time?

Phantom will only apply to the mic's / devices (like active DI boxes) that are wired for it - those that are not (generally dynamic mics) will ignore it. ALWAYS ensure the channel is muted when plugging unplugging and you will be fine.

ok thanks, I will be getting my first condenser mic delivered tomorrow. My concern was that when I turned on the phantom power that it would charge all the inputs with 48v and thus fry the non powered mics.

Bruiser's right,
If everything's wired right, phantom power is invisible to the vast majority of modern dynamic microphones.

If you're usings 58s and stuff, forget about it, but if you pick up some obscure mics and you're not sure, give it a google.
Can't go wrong :)

A lot of (all?) ribbon mics are the exception. Phantom will damage them.

Last edited:
Great answers, and thank you, That was my big concern,burning out a good SM 58..... I know I will have lots of questions.... Been playing for many years, but very new to recording and DAW software,and honestly, dont know how to connect all the pieces (Mixer,interface,laptop,mics,guitar,amp and PA) Thanks for the professional answers and patience.

You'll find pretty much all the answers on a quick search through the forums,

But if there's anything you don't find, you know where we are :)

A lot of (all?) ribbon mics are the exception. Phantom will damage them.

Definitely not all. There are some active ribbon mics that require phantom power. That said, for passive ribbons, you generally should avoid phantom power. It usually won't cause damage, but I wouldn't chance it.

Back