Petabytes...sounds painful!!

Gary B

Hi all,

This is my first post in this catagory. Just found this forum last night. Here is part of an article I found at:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/storage/maxtor-d740x-6l/

It's about a new Hard Drive standard Maxtor is working on:
We suggest taking a closer look at the second novelty introduced by the new ATA/133 standard, which Maxtor calls BigDrive:

Namely, the second significant change of the ATA standard introduced by ATA/133 is the increase of the sector address length from 28bit to 48bit. It will allow developing HDDs with the storage capacity of up to 144Petabyte (Petabyte = 1,024Terabyte = 1,048,576GB). This is immense size, which we can hardly imagine, but who knows how fast the progress will go with the time and what we will have to get used to later?
Lota' space, huh!? Like having the state of Texas for a storage closet! Analog, shmanalog! Bring on 240 bit recording!

Ahhhh... now I can finally record that 72 hour long symphony I've been working on. The one with 498 tracks recorded at 24 bits and 96,000 Hz. :D

just pray it doesn't do the "click click" thing after you've recorded your symphony. And for the general PC users pray it doesn't do the "click click" thing after you've installed your many thousand games, million or so mp3's, and who knows what else that you can cram in that thing.

Imagine that,

80,000x write
40,000x rewrite
500,000x read

Those discs will be spinning...

Painful in more ways than 1

>Buy 2.

HDs still only have a life expectation of 3 - 5 years. What's the point of collecting all that data that you worked so hard to create if you're gonna just throw it out like an old copy of a Win OS?

Well, if you wanted a serious answer, buy 2, mirror them, when one dies, replace it... or, go in a small raid 3, or 5. Backup really important projects to DVDram (or equiv). You would only use a drive that big for data whorehousing right now anyway ... so it would be your cold storage, not your working area.

Mo.

>we can hardly imagine, but who knows how fast the progress will go with the time and what we will have to get used to later?

Arguments over technique aside, I think the main point was that applications and their data storage requirements have always kept pace with the available hardware. Ever since the days of 10MB HDs it has filled the space like a lake expanding when a dam is removed.

And since I'm running a hobbyist PC-based recording studio, not a corporate IT department, one working data drive and a viable (permanent) easy to use back-up system is my goal. People scrawled stuff on rocks centuries ago that can still be read today. I have similar aspirations with my electronic legacy.

I think the driving force behind storage that size is video, specifically to be able to record & play back 24 bit streaming video with NO compression.

Back