Periodical problems with noise on recordings

nlswllm

Dear fellow audio recorders.

I currently serve as chief editor of the University Radio of Copenhagen. It is an organization only employed by more than 200 voluteering students. Therefore we don't have a lot of money to buy equipment.

At the moment we are experiencing a problem seriously causing headache for all members. Once in a while, when recording audio, the recording get severely scratchy and distorted. It is not every time, but it happens quite often. None of us can figure out the source of the noise. Only thing we know for sure is, though, that the analog signal output from our old SoundCraft B400-mixer, is not the source of the pain-in-the-ass cracking noise on the recordings.

Setup:
The output from the mixer is routed to a compressor in a rack. This compressor is not the source of the noise as well. It is then routed to a Delta66 soundcard, which sends the signal to a PC, which records the audio in Hindenburg Journalist.

The audio I have attatched contains audio slowly rising in level of noise.

I have to stress the fact, that the noise is not consistent, it is periodical. Do anyone have some advice or tips to localise the error?

Attachments

• Audio with noise.mp3
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
That crackling could be almost anything.

Trouble shooting 101

Divide - isolate - eliminate the variables!

Is it the DAW, sound card? Record with nothing plugged into the sound card. Clean no noises file?
Yes?
Start eliminating all the other parts up stream. For example record a line level source like a cd player direct into the Delta'. Go from there..

It seems to be happening only when someone is speaking, I'd try a different mic and cable to start with.

Back