Pentium 4

josesequeira

Hi there, i need to upgrade my computer is the P4 a good choice?
I know the P3 is more stable regarding audio but the P4 has a lot more power and since i work with native plugins... P4 running at 1.5ghz seems better than P3 at 1000!!!
Thanks in advance

Friends don't let friends buy PIVs

P4 running at 1.5ghz seems better than P3 at 1000!!!

It does "seem" better 'cause it's got a big number next to it, but in real life a 1.5 PIV doesn't give you much more processing power than a PIII for audio applications. It might actually perform worse in some applications...
If you want power, go with a dual PIII 1GHz or an 1.4GHz AMD Thunderbird, not the overpriced underpowered PIV

A friend told me about a simple test to compare pure processing speed (without involving video or other type of processing).

Use the scientific calculator and make it do a "n!" operation with the same input number, say 12,000, and count the number of seconds it takes for each machine.

Results are quite surprising.

I happen to work for the “mother of all chip makers”, so I can’t say I’m unbiased.

The P4 is potentially much more powerful for digital audio than the P3, beyond just simple GHz. The problem is, software needs to be specifically optimized and compiled for the P4 to take advantage of this. Otherwise, it’s unfortunately true. The P4 is not really up to snuff for current generation software.

P4 optimized software is slowly coming out. If you get a chance, try it out. It’s amazing for both audio and graphics.

barefoot

how do the ohter intel's compare?

For anyone out there who know's what processor would be best for primarially (sp?) audio but also games etc as well, itanium, xeon (sp?), p3 or p4?

I don't work in that area so I'm not up on all the details. I know there are developers who are coming out with P4 optimized stuff all the time. I think Steinberg has a few things.

I have a friend who is on top of this stuff. I'll try and get better information from her and get back to you guys.

But yeah, the stuff I've played with is blistering fast and powerful.

barefoot

Remember MMX? That really help me out big time! 3DNow! ring a bell? You will be waiting forever for any 'optimization' on the software side, since it's mostly hype. Just buy whatever will do the job. I'd go with the P3, they are available at 1.2GHz.

Are AMD processors ok for audio aps? I have a Thunderbird 1333 and I've not had any problems with it so far.... also I have A VIA chipset board. Some people say these have their problems for audio and others tell me they are better... who is right??

Not really a question of better, but one of compatability.

Especially, your sound card. You may have lucked out or researched the issues before hand.

But, even with intel chipsets you still have to do your research before purchase, and even then be prepared for some troubleshooting. Too many variables with component manufacturers, Intel chipsets and Intel chips are still IMO the safest route. AMD make some excellent processors, just have to be extra careful in your component choices - especially the motherboard and the chipset on it.

Yeah thanks. Looks like I will be pluging for the M-Audio Delta 66 Omni studio setup. M-Audio say it is fully compatable with AMD processors and they are yet to have any problems with the VIA chipset and these cards.

I hear the VIA chipset problems are slowly being sorted out anyway in recent driver releases and that if you have you mobo on latest drivers very few people experience the problems anymore.

Logic 5 will suppost the P4 commands and that comes out soon. If if your'e going to be using logic then i'd go for the P4

Back