PCI soundcard/usb soundcard???

Still_Learning

hey,

I have heared a lot about soundcard on this forum, but the thing I want to know is, is there a difference in proformence between PCI soundcards that you install in your PC and usb soundcards?

thanks,

USB is good only when you need something mobile.. I use int with my laptop (works perfectly btw). If you have a desktop computer.. NO USB!

oke thanks.
So PCI it is, i'm thinking delta 66. but from the looks off it the delta 66 doesn't seem to have midi i/o. Can this problem be overcome by using a mixer and if so, would the behringer ub 2222 fx be a good choice or do you recomend a diffrent brand with about the price(€280).

no a mixer throug the delta would not help.

you CAN use midi through a USB port, or you can get midi deviced which connect directly through USB insted of MIDI cord.

but the delta 66 has sp/dif, right(Don't really know what that means) but, I heared that is has to do with sending digital input to you computer. Wel than isn't it posible then, to connect a keyboard to your mixer and send the midi signal through that sp/dif connection?

No I don't think so.
s/pdif is a digital audio format - a digital representation of audio waveforms. Midi is a different kind of data where where the numbers represent particular notes or volumes. These numbers get translated by a software sequencer into audio.

If you think you'll need midi, have a look at the Delta 1010LT. It's about $40 dearer than the delta 66, but you get 8 analog inputs plus s/pdif plus midi plus a couple of preamps

yes, the 1010 lt looks like a really good soundcard and has al the options I need. I think I will spend the extra money for extra options.

thanks,

i recently got a 1010lt.........so far it's great for the money i paid. if you get one, after installing, make sure it has it's own irq. that's the only trouble I ran into installing this card.

TravisinFlorida said:
i recently got a 1010lt.........so far it's great for the money i paid. if you get one, after installing, make sure it has it's own irq. that's the only trouble I ran into installing this card.

what do you mean with "irq"?What's that?

irq = interrupt request. it's a signal from a piece of hardware to the cpu, saying "my turn, screw the printer, video card, etc.". for multitracking, you need to make sure your soundcard is'nt sharing an irq with another device. from what i've read, make sure your audio card is assigned an irq between 0 and 15. 0-15 are real irq's and anything further is a shared irq.

my sound was popping and clicking when trying to lay down a couple of tracks. my 1010lt was assigned irq 16 or 17......so I disabled ACPI, so I could manually assign irq's. I did'nt have to assign a new irq, it just changed to irq 5 automatically after disabling ACPI. it worked great after that.

to find out which irq is assigned to your sound card in windows, click Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information, Hardware Resources, IRQ's.

I know..........what's ACPI? i gotta leave you something to look up.

I've got the Omnistudio package based around the Delta66 - very good for starting out with and eminently expandable.

My mate who spent a fortune on a 1010, a Mackie desk and some expensive pre's said he wishes he'd got an Omni as it does everything he needs for a fraction of the price of his gear.

The pre's are not brilliant, but great for demos :)

Back