PCI slots - good combination

CounterToAttack

hey kids

Im in anticipation of my omni studio being brought up to my house on sunday. but after reading lots of things about irq's and conflicts i was just gonna ask ahead of the installation how i should set my pci slots out. i have 5 slots and will have 3 pieces of hardware, Modem, Network Card, Soundcard. i'd appreciate anyone running a smooth system with OMNI STUDIO and with these 3 items in their pc to tell me which slots they have things in, and maybe even the designated irq's

blah blah blah
Richard

I think you should put them in order of how much you use.

Soundcard?
Modem?
Network Card?

Cya

Tukkis

I would put the Delta card into a PCI that is farthest away from an ISA slots. If you have 5 PCI slots, I think you can avoid irq conflicts if you go in this order:

Modem
Network card
empty
empty
Soundcard.

No guarantees mind you, you may have to fiddle around a bit to make sure you are not sharing IRQ's with any other device. Also sharing an IRQ is not the end of the world for your omni-studio, but it is preferred. I'm sure your setup will go just fine.

Have fun

The answer to this question actually depends on your make and model of you Motherboard. Do you know your MOBO?

If you do, look to see if it was ever reviewed on one of the hardware sites (Tom's Hardware, Anandtech to name a few). The reviews will often tell you which slots share resources and what cards will work better in what slots.

One General rule of thumb...
If your MOBO has AGP support, leave the PCI next to the AGP slot empty, as they often share resources.

Queue

Queue is absolutely right. It all depends 100% on your motherboard. Some PCI slots share with eachother, slot1 will share with AGP, and one or more slots might share with an onboard ATA controller. You're going to have to do some research here.

Slackmaster 2000

like these guys said it depends on your board... I have an ABIT KT7A-RAID w/Delta66/omni studio set up like this:

AGP slot- graphics card
PCI 1 - empty
PCI 2 - Delta66 card
PCI 3 - Empty
PCI 4 - Yamaha sound card
PCI 5 - empty
PCI 6 - network card
ISA - empty

I have my windows 2000 set up to use the bios IRQs.

The Delta66/PCI 2 slot isn't sharing IRQ 5 with anything else...

The AGP slot isn't sharing IRQ 10 with anything else...

The Yamaha sound card/PCI 4, network card/PCI 6, and USB controller are all sharing the same IRQ 11

Again it depends on what board you have.. in the manual should be what the bios PCI slot/IRQ assignments are...

good luck...

Josh

P.S. you're really going to enjoy the Omni Studio package... I know I do!

Back