PCI card coupler or doubler or something?

normington

A desktop PC I want to use in the studio only has two PCI slots on the motherboard, and it'd make things alot easier if there were three. Is there some sort of external box or adapter or something that will allow to connect two or three cards to one slot? Is this possible?

The two PCI slots already present aren't on the actual motherboard itself anyway - there's one PCI slot on the board itself and then another small board that slips into it which has two card slots on it. Its a Compaq Evo D510 small form factor PC if anyone's interested.

Thanks,

Andy

Why do you need three PCI slots? That's a lot of slots....

Even if what you were asking were possible, you'd still have the problem of cooling three PCI slots inside a chassis that wasn't designed to accommodate them....

Better, and cheaper.....buy an E-machine tower, or convert to a USB interface. Both options cheaper than Magma.

A brand new desktop computer will run you less than 1/4 of the price of a Magma.

Unless your computer is brand new, it'll probably be faster, too.

PLUS with two computers, you'll be able to network them together and get even more power (look up www.fxteleport.com or the ReaMote function of Reaper.... I have an extra 5Ghz of VST processing power by using the computers on my network using Reaper.)

What are you using the PCI slots for? You can most likely replace one of the PCI devices with a USB version (ie. Ethernet controller, wireless controller..). If there's one device that you can get a USB version of, that will free one PCI slot.

I have an extra 5Ghz of VST processing power

What does that even mean?

Magma is expensive, but necessary if you need more than 3 PCI slots. I'd think about a new Mobo, or a new computer. BTW, you can pick up a used magma for about $250.

No real easy way to do what you are trying to do, but you could try a PCI Riser card. Probably have to cut up your case with tin snips or something so you can get to the back of your cards.

10362905.jpg

http://www.buy.com/prod/tyan-m2042-riser-card-3-3-x-pci-64-32-bit/q/loc/101/10362905.html

No real easy way to do what you are trying to do, but you could try a PCI Riser card. Probably have to cut up your case with tin snips or something so you can get to the back of your cards.

10362905.jpg

http://www.buy.com/prod/tyan-m2042-riser-card-3-3-x-pci-64-32-bit/q/loc/101/10362905.html

If that is bridged, it would work. However, AFAIK, most multi-way riser cards are just dumb devices that plug into a modified PCI connector with extra device select lines, i.e. they are specific to the particular model of computer you're plugging them into.

Back