• PC

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Mac

Votes: 11 44.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but earlier you said this: -

My post illustrates how this isn't true.

Well actually first I posted this:

Back to the discussion though, to compare building a computer yourself to a professionally built computer sold retail, whether it is price wise, build quality, or any other comparison isn't comparing apples to apples (hahahaha!!!!) If you were to compare a PRODUCTION PC, with SERVER GRADE not CONSUMER GRADE components to a PRODUCTION Mac, you would have two similar machines at nearly the same price point, in two very different cases. Now, if you want to compare what you can build on your own, whether it be Mac or PC, again, same machine, same price point. Arguing that would be retarded as those are facts. The point where everything goes to shit is when each of the computers boots up to either windows or OSX, thus the birth of the hackintosh... It really depends on which operating system you want to run at the end of the day. I can't tell you how many times I've heard a demo of a dope ass VST and googled it ready for download only to find out it is PC only. That being said, I will still never go back to PC, not even as a second machine. Nor will I pollute my Mac by making it a dual boot system, as they have now developed cross over virus'.

I'll break it down for anyone who may not understand:

Optimized Setup: PRODUCTION DESKTOP PC with SERVER GRADE components vs. PRODUCTION MacPro with SERVER(standard) GRADE components = Price - Negligible, Performance - Negligible
Standard Setup: PRODUCTION DESKTOP PC with CONSUMER(standard) GRADE components vs. PRODUCTION MacPro with STANDARD(server) GRADE components = Price - PC, Performance - Mac
Self Built Setup: HOMEBUILT DESKTOP PC vs. HOMEBUILT MacPro(hack) with same/similar components = Price - Same, Performance - Same.

This is what I have been saying the whole time. These are facts not opinions. I'm sorry if the truth makes you unhappy.

Okay, if you want to get into it...

Four of your other "examples" involved trouble (latency and drop outs) with the Focusrite Scarlett interface. Guess what? If you got to the Apple Support Communities, they have a two page thread about Mac users having EXACTLY the same problem, including Focusrite acknowledging the issue and offering a suggested fix. Check HERE if you don't believe me.

On a general Google search for "Problems using Macs for audio" I received 393,000,000 hits. No, I haven't read them all but they seem to span the same range of things as Windows queries. I'm a regular over on the Adobe Audition User Forums and there's certainly no shortage of Mac-based queries. If anything, we get more than we should expect considering the relatively small user base out of machines out there.

Speaking of which, my figure of 12% of computers in use being Apple came after some Googling. Figures ranged from 9% to 15% but several sites (and the most recently dated ones) mentioned the 12% figure so I used it. Note that this figure is for desktops and laptops; tablets are not included. Some of the sites I mentioned were the US market, others were the world market but differences were relatively small. Here's a chart from the OSX Daily website giving individual stats for every world region. It's about the most "pro mac" of all the sets of numbers I found:

View attachment 77725

Anyway, I hope you're not going to try and tell us that the Apple market penetration is anywhere near that of Windows?

Regarding upgrades, it's rather disingenuous of you to criticise Windows for upgrade related problems then admit that you deliberately put off upgrades to avoid exactly the same sort of problems on Mac.

To end with my own experience of using Windows based computers, prior to retirement I was Vice President Technical Operations and Engineering for a TV and Audio facility in London. We had three studios, 16 non linear edit suites, a radio news operation with 18 software "seats", a main newsroom with approximately 35 computers plus all the usual office machines. All together, we had just under 400 computers if you include servers. Every one was a Windows based machine.

Even with that number we had practically no software-based issues. Our IT and maintenance department were far more likely to be swapping faulty monitors or working on the TV equipment that worked alongside the computers. FYI, we depreciated out computers over a five year service life and managed to get away with this.

Bobbsy, interesting figures. I would never claim that Apple computers themselves hold a greater market share than PCs. I did some research myself before responding to your last post, and the figures I found were a bit different. It is pretty much impossible to nail down exact numbers, but from my research I have found that the Mac figure is somewhere between 12-25% give or take which doesn't take into account how long the users are retaining their computers on either side. The only solid figure I found on retention was Mac users keeping their machines up to and around 50% longer than PC users. But as I only saw this on one site, I am not quoting it as fact.

Hipsters are more likely to use Macs and churn out bad folk tunes whilst stroking their wispy beards, so I'm sticking with PC...

The next big thing will be DNA memory, where you get a USB 3/fork connection and stab yourself every time you want to record.... which will be interesting as that's what my vocals already sound like....

You heard it here first.:D

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Armistice again.

Seriously, this thread is still going?!

In all of history, these types of threads are the most predictable. :laughings:

Get a Mac and get on with your lifeeeessss!!1!1!

Bobbsy, interesting figures. I would never claim that Apple computers themselves hold a greater market share than PCs. I did some research myself before responding to your last post, and the figures I found were a bit different. It is pretty much impossible to nail down exact numbers, but from my research I have found that the Mac figure is somewhere between 12-25% give or take which doesn't take into account how long the users are retaining their computers on either side. The only solid figure I found on retention was Mac users keeping their machines up to and around 50% longer than PC users. But as I only saw this on one site, I am not quoting it as fact.

I agree that we'll never come to an exact figure. Most of what's published is about sales for the last quarter or last year, not what's still in use.

However, I notice you're in the USA while I'm in Australia just now after 31 years in the UK. I suspect you'll find the American penetration to be the highest in the world because the rest of us face an even bigger price differential.

Just for fun I did my own straw poll this morning during my school run. Of the 25 people I talked to at a local primary school, all had computers at home and all 25 were Windows based. Not one had a Mac machine. (Now, if we talk tablets that's very different but that's not what we're on about.)

No, I'm not claiming this is in any way a scientific exercise. However, it may help to show where I'm coming from.

Just to be sure I'm understanding you, you are going to 'debunk' the FACT that server grade components cost more than consumer grade components, please do get bored!! I have to clock my 8 hours tomorrow in corporate land and surely could use a hearty laugh when I get home. Can't wait.

'There is no fool more ignorant, than the fool who will argue facts.'

The thing I was going to claim to debunk was that the cost of the Macs vs the cost of PCs would be the same, regardless of what components you used.

Here, let me show you what you'd get for cost if you built a PC with the EXACT SAME processor, the same RAM, (as close to) the same graphics card (the 5770 is ancient, they only have 6770 on newegg anymore), etc etc. I'll even provide you with links to help you follow along with me.

Okay, so. Let's visit Apple.com.

Apple - Mac Pro - View all the technical specifications.

There's the tech specs for the Mac Pro. The processor is "Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors" for the dual CPU model. Newegg offers two of the E5646 for this cost...

Intel Xeon E5645 Westmere-EP 2.4GHz 6 x 256KB L2 Cache 12MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 80W Six-Core Server Processor BX80614E5645 - Newegg.com

$575 for one, two will set us back $1050. Now let's look at the memory. It claims it's using "1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM." Okay, let's get the most expensive 12GB (standard for the Mac Pro) server grade RAM we can on Newegg.

Kingston Server Memory DR x8 Intel Model KVR13R9D8K3/12I - Newegg.com

$112 for that. We're at $1162. Now on to the graphics card. The 5770 is too old to find anything other than refurbished, so let's upgrade to the 6770 1GB model of the ATI Radeon.

VisionTek 900447 Radeon HD 6770 Video Card - Newegg.com

$120, total $1282. Now let's look at hard drives. I know they use Samsung for their SSDs, because my friend runs an IT business and he's had to repair and replace one recently. We'll do the 512GB plus a 1TB 7200.

SAMSUNG MZ-7PD512BW - Newegg.com
Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX Internal Hard Drive - Newegg.com

$520 for the SSD, $100 for the HDD, that's $620, so $1902 so far. Now on to the optical drive. Theirs doesn't even support anything but DVDs, I'll go one up and get a Blu-Ray reader so we can watch HD videos if we'd like.

ASUS Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black Blu-ray Drive - Newegg.com

$60, at $1962 so far. The rest is just getting a case, a motherboard, a mouse, keyboard, and monitor. Let's do all that right now.

EVGA Classified SR-2 270-WS-W555-A2 LGA 1366 Intel 5520 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HPTX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
Rosewill BLACKHAWK-ULTRA Gaming Super Tower Computer Case, support up to HPTX, come with Eight Fans,Top HDD docking - Retail - Newegg.com
Logitech G700 Black Mouse - Newegg.com
Logitech K400 (920-003070) Black Keyboard - Newegg.com

After all that, the total cost is $2857. There's also a 27" ASUS monitor for $700 that saves $300 on the apple one, but since you can use either on a Mac, I didn't specify. Another $200 if you want Windows 7 Pro and you're at $3057.

Spec'ing the Mac Pro the same with gets you $50 under $5000, and it has less option for improvement later, more PCIe slots, and even a Blu-ray drive. SAME exact parts taken right from Apple's site, almost $2000 cheaper.

These are the facts. You're wrong.

Hipsters are more likely to use Macs and churn out bad folk tunes whilst stroking their wispy beards, so I'm sticking with PC...

*reading this on my MBP whilst taking a break from mixing a folk rock tune whilst stroking my overly long ginger beard and drinking earl grey tea out of a bone china cup*

Oh crap, i've gone from some dirty grunge kid to a hipster overnight! that would explain why i hate 99% of the music i hear on TV/Radio and go on about bands you've probably never heard of

:D

the threads going well...I thought theyd stopped having the MAC v PC debates back in the dark dual core days

Im almost too embarrassed to open viao in the local coffee hangout :)

You should be embarassed just to be in a coffee hangout. :facepalm:

Unless it's Peet's. Macs are unto Starbacks as PC's are unto Peet's. The cool crowd.

You should be embarassed just to be in a coffee hangout. :facepalm:

Unless it's Peet's. Macs are unto Starbacks as PC's are unto Peet's. The cool crowd.

I dont frequent coffee houses, and the bars i go to...well theres not much networking going on ;)

I like Mac. I use Mac.

Some people I know like Windows. They use Windows.

Some people I know like Linux. They use Linux.

You can do anything you want in any operating system you want. This argument is pointless. Nothing but personal biases showing up in this thread.

Price: You can save money by buying your own parts and putting it together yourself. Then testing the system yourself. Then installing Windows yourself. Then installing drivers yourself. Regardless of what you think, your time isn't free.
Most PC users end up upgrading hardware later. You have to factor those costs in as well. How about OS upgrades? OSX costs $20. Windows routinely sets you back $100-200, at least once in the life of your PC.

Performance: You can get equal performance out of either configuration. Out of the box, between a Mac and a Dell, the Mac wins. If you go pick out specific combinations of parts known to work well together, you can get great performance.

But again, who the hell cares? It's your money, your user experience.

Regardless of what you think, your time isn't free.

Maybe that relates to the original question, 'why do macs seem to be popular in music production'.

Whether you think it's true or not, the idea that macs occupy less of your time fiddling with things probably contributes to their popularity in professional environments.

A lot of people just want something that works, and whether true or not, apple just fits that bill for them.

Maybe that relates to the original question, 'why do macs seem to be popular in music production'.

Whether you think it's true or not, the idea that macs occupy less of your time fiddling with things probably contributes to their popularity in professional environments.

A lot of people just want something that works, and whether true or not, apple just fits that bill for them.

I count swapping every USB and reinstalling drivers as part of the creative process :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back