PC Users - Your preferred DAW

T

tinylittlemate

Hi, I'm a PC user and have been recording using a Tascam US-800 interface combined with the Cubase LE 5 software that came with it. I love the interface itself but Cubase has been giving me problems, even just loaded on its own without the US-800. I used to like it back in the day when I started home recording but now it's just quite annoying.

I was wondering if PC users can recommend me a better DAW to use, preferably one that can still load VST's? If it helps my laptop specs are:
- 2.5 Ghz Intel i3 core
- 8 GB ram
- 500 GB hard disk

Any help much appreciated. Many thanks!

You're gonna get a million recommendations for Reaper, and there's nothing wrong with that,
but what's Cubase doing that annoys you so much?

Perhaps it's something fixable, or do you just not like the modern version?

this might be something really dumb and i apologise in advance, i've started recording again for the first time in years so i'm re-learning a lot of stuff! it's mainly to do with the ASIO overload problem... this happens in Cubase even when the US-800 interface isn't running. i don't know why because none of my projects are that demanding at all (just drums, bass, guitar, vox and a few plugins), and I believe my machine is of a good enough spec to be able to run DAW's without this kind of thing happening. but in addition to that I just don't like the overall feel of Cubase any more and would be interested to try out something new.

If you just want to try something new, that's cool, but the problems you're describing are almost certainly down to an incorrect driver or software versions.

Any compatible daw should be stable on that spec of machine.

do yourself a favor, GET MIXCRAFT same price as reaper only a hell of a lot easier to use and has a far better midi library. it has less effects but thats better because then youre not searching through 15 different compressors to find the one that's less shit than the rest .
you will have to get an EQ vst though or just work with the 8 band one

thanks for the suggestions everyone. i will give all of these a go!

Another one for Reaper. I've been using Reaper for a few years now, since 3.0. Haven't looked back!

I reallyyyy like Reason 6. Ever since they combined Reason and Record.... A-. It would be an A+ if they would allow third party plugs, but I'm able to get great mixes from their stock plugs anyway.

I use REAPER as my main DAW, with Cubase as a sometimey DAW because I love the control room window.

I've had and tried most of them, but have to say that SONAR is my only love as of yet. X1 is truly great. Reaper, if I have to choose a second. Cubase is way too cluttered.

Back