PC RECORDING EFFECTS ???

stratman

Hello!!! I have a Lexicon Core-2 using Cakewalk Pro Audio 9. I would like to know what are the pros and cons of using software based effects versus proprietary card based effects. I heard that using card based effects lessens the load of the CPU. Is this true? I am thinking of buying the Lexicon MP-100 daugther card because I need all the power that I can get from my CPU for smooth recording. Any thoughts or comments out there? By the way, here is the spec of my pc to get a better understanding where I'm coming from:

P-III 550
256 pc-100 sdram
26 gb udma 5400 rpm 66
9 gb uw scsi 7200 rpm
Lexicon Core-2
ATI Rage 32 mb video card
4x4x24 ide cd-rw
32x cdrom

It's certainly true that plug-ins will sap some CPU cycles, so if you have the option of running some effects in DSP on a card, you will free up CPU resources for other things (more tracks). I guess the decision depends too on how good the MP-100 card's effects actually are compared to high-end plug-ins like Waves and TC...

-AlChuck

Not only does plug ins sap the power, The "reverb" effect is a real killer.
You can have tens of EQ's and compression but try more then 4 reverbs with out choking.

The extra card is quite a deal. To buy the Lex. would cost you much more.

Hehe the worst CPU hog I have is my compressor RCL, the thing rapes my CPU, but damn it sure is nice ;-) I find reverb to be bad but not half as bad as the Ren compressor.

Shakes,

Have you hugged your JoeMeek today?

Back