PC question

Ok, here are some specs on a pc that should be here by Friday:

Intel i7 4790 @ 3.6ghz
16gb ddr3
2tb hdd

I also bought a WD Blue 1tb for my audio drive, along with an external case for my hdd's in the old pc so I can just transfer what I want/need to the new pc (as long as the old hdd's aren't fried that is)...

Total cost (including shipping) is just over $700...

I think this system should handle about anything I throw at it, what do you guys think???

Looks similar to the basics of my current setup.

Take to heart Tadpui's post about the i7 4790 running hot. The stock fan was not adequate in my experience. $30 for a Coolermaster EVO if your case will fit it. THIS worked wonders for me.

I hit thermal shutdown once during a session without the added fan on just a simple 60 or so track audio project. Nothing out of the ordinary on a recording only PC. 90 degrees plus with stress test on stock CPU fan. less than 60 with the EVO cooler.

Last edited:
"...but I do honestly dread installing all the software again, that will take several hours just to accomplish..."

AFAIK you could disconnect the hard drive in the new PC and fit a virgin new one then fit the old hard drive with all your software on it (having backed it up, twice!). You can then clone the old drive to the new one. There are several free softwares around to do the job. When I bought my Crucial SSD they gave me a "ticket" to unlock a download of such software but I did not go that route for various other reasons and did a clean OS (W7) install instead.

Downside is you are copying over any hidden crap and possible malware but it should save you a lot of time?

But I am a very noob computer noob so be guided by the gurus here.

Dave.

Cloning (to boot from) might be ok on 100% identical hardware but I really wouldn't recommend it., and definitely not if the mobo has been changed.
It'd probably bsod on first boot.

Let's face it. A fresh install with all new hardware might only work 1 time out of of 3. ;)

Cloning for backup is a great idea, though. I do that quite often in parallel with manual file dragging backup.

Cloning (to boot from) might be ok on 100% identical hardware but I really wouldn't recommend it., and definitely not if the mobo has been changed.
It'd probably bsod on first boot.

Let's face it. A fresh install with all new hardware might only work 1 time out of of 3. ;)

Cloning for backup is a great idea, though. I do that quite often in parallel with manual file dragging backup.

Yeah, I cloned a drive that had disc errors to a SSD. The pc still warns of the errors at startup with the new drive. Friggen annoying and I have OEM Windows that I can't use with new mobo that was also changed..

Yeah, just too much opportunity to carry something negative over - whether malicious or just simply errors/failed/install/remnants of deleted programs etc.
I see it like buying a new vacuum cleaner and popping your old filter in.

Yeah, just too much opportunity to carry something negative over - whether malicious or just simply errors/failed/install/remnants of deleted programs etc.
I see it like buying a new vacuum cleaner and popping your old filter in.

Either way, it 'sucks'. lol Sorry, had to go there...

Thanks for the heads-up guys, especially on the cooler Jimmy. Since I'm a non-tech, caveman type, how hard is it to install that fan? I'd love to pop one in my new pc, but definitely don't wanna fuck anything up...

So far, everything's running great. I opened one of my bigger projects that ran about 50-60% cpu on the old AMD, & the new i7 reads less than 10%, so there's definitely a performance improvement...

I actually lucked out on the 2 old hard drives from the AMD machine. The OS drive seems fine, but the audio drive is making noises that I hadn't noticed before, so I'd say it's about to die. Good thing is I bought a drive case with usb 3.0 to transfer my projects to the new machine. Works great, & is noticeably faster than usb 2.0. Best $20 I ever spent for anything like this...

Check to see what the temp of your processor is under a load first. While you have your DAW running, have THIS open. The download is safe from here.

No need to add a cooler if you don't need it.

Check to see what the temp of your processor is under a load first. While you have your DAW running, have THIS open. The download is safe from here.

No need to add a cooler if you don't need it.

Thanks Jimmy, here's a pic of what the program says with the biggest/cpu heavy project to date:

CPU Temp.PNG

Not sure myself, but does it look to be ok??? I don't understan the max temp value (if that is actually the max the cpu allows, or just the max to date)...Lemme know dude....

Hey man. 44/45/39 is the max temp that the CPU has been at so far.
Tj max is the upper limit....100.

If those are your temps under load you're in great shape. :)

Hey man. 44/45/39 is the max temp that the CPU has been at so far.
Tj max is the upper limit....100.

If those are your temps under load you're in great shape. :)

Very cool & thanks a bunch. When I read Jimmy's post about his pc overheating, I almost panicked because the processors are the same...

Makes me feel good that on a big project the temp is normal/good, & the cpu use is a pretty dramatic change from the AMD machine. The exact same project using the AMD, the cpu was about 50% or more, & on the new Intel pc it reads about 5-10%, which again, is a drastic change...:eek:

Really happy with the new pc so far, hope it continues like this...:thumbs up:

Thanks again!!!

Back