Votes: 343 51.9%
  • Mac

Votes: 217 32.8%
  • Both

Votes: 80 12.1%
  • Other

Votes: 21 3.2%

• Total voters
over a few months of playing with it i eventually i decided to run my daw software on it for a laugh

all i can say is I've never looked back .. i don't have to fight my computer to run now i just make music

Amazing how often this happens.
I first tried OSX purely because there was a bit of a contest between myself and a friend to get it running on generic PC hardware.
I also never looked back but I did buy the real deal in the end.

I use a Mac, but trust me on this, it does not matter which one you use. Now, if you want to maximize what's happening, the Mac does that and that's why I use it. You pay a lot for the computer up front, but then you can record with Logic, which only comes for the Mac. Logic Pro X is inexpensive.

Now, you can do the same thing with pro tools on a PC. But, it doesn't come with a fraction of the things Logic comes with. The things Logic comes with are not mediocre. They are the type of plug ins you would go buy on your own... If you had pro tools.

Or you can use pro tools on the mac. Which is good too because the machine works well and efficient, so pro tools works great and you may find you like the experience better than the PC.

The PC vs Mac debate is simply this.. They are both computers, but they both are two different experiences. They do everything a different way. The mac way of doing it, is easier. I don't just say this as if I'm so know it all. I've done it with both of them.

If you have the funds, you could get a supped up PC that was much more powerful than a mac. But if the experience isn't getting the work done, it doesn't really matter how much power you have. The goal is to get the work done, which is the song.

You will run into those who are bitter. Who can't afford a Mac, so they will insist that the PC kills the Macintosh. But that is just people talking and projecting their own problems.

I CAN make a PC record and do the same things my mac does. But since I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford the mac, why would I do that?

Once you purchase the mac, if you get Logic Pro X, you'll see what I mean about getting a ton more than you paid for. You'll have so many tools that no matter what you want to do, there will be a way to do it.

Where as with pro tools, yes it can do these same things. But what if the tool I want to use is a 2 thousand dollar VST package?

Plus, on the non music side of things. I have had a mac tear up before. But rarely does it happen. Usually it is made to do the same thing every single day without bothering me. It seems like when I had a PC, there would always be this crisis of it taking hours, if not days, to make a mundane task understand how to do what I needed it to do.

I won't go back to PC, unless, as the economy is going badly, I come to a position to where it's simply the only tool I can get my hands on. And I will make it work, just like the mac works. But it will take more evolvement.

So, the answer is, "Mac vs pc which is better for recording." Neither one of them. You can push the same recordings out of both of them. But if you happen to have the finances. Just go ahead and go for the Mac. As the other people have said, you'll see why when you have one.

FORGET the status symbol. Who cares if it's more cool to have a mac. That's not why we have them.

Good, well reasoned post.

The only thing I'd say though is that opinions on DAW software are very personal. Everyone's needs are different and each brand of DAW can have a slightly different emphasis--to over simplify, some are MIDI sequencers that can do recording and some are multi track recorders with a bit of MIDI. The main thing though is the user interface--what is simple and intuitive to one person is a nightmare to others. You pays your money and takes your chances.

As for the Mac/PC choice, I'll say again that I've used both and don't have a problem with either of them. I certainly didn't notice any dramatic improvement in speed or simplicity with the Mac so, for my needs, it becomes a case of "I might as well not spend the extra". However, it's worth saying that my brain is just not wired in the Apple way--I spend my days fighting tooth and nail with my iPhone and iTunes rather than revelling in their ease of use!

I saw this post as new and thought, what I thougth this discussion was ended years ago. Well, it was it turns out.

Boy, this poll has been around for a while!

It's funny you mention that because it started the same year I joined HR (2003). I probably even posted a response. My guess would be that I voted for Apple, arguing that PC's were too much like John Hodgeman. :D

I saw this post as new and thought, what I thougth this discussion was ended years ago. Well, it was it turns out.
I guess whenever someone votes it shows up as new, even if they don't post. That's how I saw it (for the first time, I guess - I did just vote :)).

Maybe this is done before...if so, things changes.

Do you use Mac or PC for recording?

Hans,
www.hagen.nu

I use pcs now but I still have xppro

My next system will be a linux flavor probably ubuntu

macs are too expensive and not as well supported
in spite of the support they do have choices are still less and cost more

pcs have gone social media oriented and are not suitable any more for general use without too much tweaking assuming you can even do it

I use pcs now but I still have xppro

My next system will be a linux flavor probably ubuntu

macs are too expensive and not as well supported
in spite of the support they do have choices are still less and cost more

pcs have gone social media oriented and are not suitable any more for general use without too much tweaking assuming you can even do it

If you go Linux, just make sure the interface is supported. If you haven't already looked, I found that the USB standard is not implemented 100% by all interfaces. Linux goes off the USB standard and getting a Linux driver, well ... But there are some DAWs that will run in Linux.

Just FYI if you were not already aware.

If you go Linux, just make sure the interface is supported. If you haven't already looked, I found that the USB standard is not implemented 100% by all interfaces. Linux goes off the USB standard and getting a Linux driver, well ... But there are some DAWs that will run in Linux.

thanks

i always make sure everything will fit together before i buy any gear

If we're talking price/performance PC all day long. Even though a Mac is a PC technically lol. I have no issues with Windows. Some just prefer OSX as an environment and their workflow within. Other then that I'd never consider a Mac. Over priced junk at this point and Apple doesn't really care about the computer it seems these days.

The Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 will definitely run on Linux. Lent mine to a guy for a month then he bought one.

The KA6 is now saddly discontinued (but still largely available) but I would expect other NI AIs to be similarly Linux friendly?

Pretty sure Reaper has a Linux version? ....Reaper audio editing software gets a native Linux installer - Liliputing

Yuo, they are working on it.

Dave.

Back