Votes: 343 51.9%
  • Mac

Votes: 217 32.8%
  • Both

Votes: 80 12.1%
  • Other

Votes: 21 3.2%

• Total voters
Im looking at getting into home recording, mostly for my own scratchpad, and uploading tunes to the internet. From the research I've done, Im thinking I like the imac, even though i've always been a pc user. I'm also looking at using Logic Pro 9, coupled with Ezdrummer, and Amplitube 3. What does everyone think of this combination? Which Imac would you guys suggest? How about a good interface that isnt crazy expensive? Thank you for any input!

I agree with twinscrewed.... but not having tried any of the new gear out there, and being an old school guy, my research suggests that Mac is more reliable and user friendly....anyone?? So I'm finally able to go "all in" for my first home studio... been around the block a few times (35 years in music biz....Recording Workshop 1990, etc...) so after researching quite a bit i'm thinking of going this route:

Imac OSX Snow Leopard 27" Screen
2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
2TB Serial ATA Drive
8x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 SDRAM
Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (English) & User's Guide
Magic Mouse + Magic Trackpad

Logic Studio 9
Mackie Onyx Blackbird Premium 16x16 FireWire Recording Interface

for around $3750...... Overkill...?? I'm thinking of diving instead of sticking my toes in......

Also I want to not hafta upgrade for awhile..... I was thinking expandability and not instant obselescence....

One more thing....Should I wait for OSX Lion?? I understand it will be out this summer.......gliches with Snow Leopard?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated :-)

Thanks!

PC’s are compatible with a more software programs and offer more configuration options; especially great for detailed sonic work.

Since, with a few careful hacks you can run OSX on a PC or old apple PPC and can run windows on a mac through boot camp it really comes down to which OS you prefer, especially since apple went with intel, the components are now more ore less identical accross the platforms which is why you now have to hack snow leopard and new apple software to get it to run on an older apple power PC which actually used different components than their PC counterparts

I use Windows when I first started. It was using Cubase 5 which mean not so long ago.
I'm Windows geek and was a pro-MAC before.

But everything change when I got my first Macbook Pro.
I bought it for the sake to use Xcode to develop some IOS app.
Yes, I'm can program both for Windows and MAC.

As for home recording. I would say I use both but I tend to use MAC more nowadays.
Not because reliability issue or anything, it's just my preference.
Now I would not call them as a "home recording studio" but as my "mobile recording studio" because I was always making music on the go. It's so convenient with this invention of DAWs.

Both Windows and MAC are great, but I found out the reason why MAC is more expensive. Just like some of the other member said on the post way up there, the performance and finishing standard for this MAC can't compare with that mere laptop which mean for consumer. If you want to compare MAC or Macbook with Windows based machine, compare them with business solution notebook and computer which is in fact sometimes more or less the same price as what MAC offer.

One thing about Windows cannot beat is gaming. That's all.

READ THIS
heres the ultimate solution to the neverending question. i am not a pro but heres what i know. on the internet there are all sorts of discussions about which is better. PC? or Mac?

lets do the numbers:
PC_pros: really fast pc's are REALLY FAST.
PCs are a ton cheaper and parts are cheap
Cons:windows SUCKS and is way over priced
you have to be computer savvy and spend lots of bonding time with your pc to make it run smooth
they dont look as cool as macs:)

Mac_Pros: They are awsome out of the box and almost never need maintenance
great software and support
even there base models are really good
Cons:They are WAY WAY over priced.
if they break or on the vary vary rare chance you get a virus, you mine as well throw it out and get the new model
i have heard that they would actually run slower than a pc that is the same price

so what is the verdict. Drum Roll............a hackintosh (AKA a PC running mac os) thats right there is a god!!!! you get the ease of owning a mac with the price of a pc.
However you have to be able to assemble a computer and have a good knowledge of computers to do it.

Heres the link to explain how such a thing is possible >>> tonymacx86 Blog: CustoMac
and the software you need >>> tonymacx86 Blog: iBoot + MultiBeast: Install Mac OS X on any Intel-based PC
however if you want a laptop you should feel stupid after reading all this because this is only really possible and will only save you money if its a desktop.
:drunk:
cheers
Dan

Hackintosh will only work with Intel processors I think

I use AMD processors, theyre cheap and an overclocked quad is uberfast and can be had for as low as $400 - $500 new...I hate the Apple operating system, thats why my macbook pro stays uncharged most of the time..Win 7 has been pretty stable with me so far and there isnt a thing I can chuck at the quad that slows it down, well no effects or softsynths I own anyway

make sure you back things up on externals then even if i blew this thing the cost of buying a new one would still be less than my macbook...shit Ive got a Sony netbook that cost nearly $3k...imagine the desktop you could get up and running with that...what a dumbarse I was :(

Ill stick with PCs and windows

Hackintosh will only work with Intel processors I think

Not true, although it's a little more hassle on AMD than intel

Course, i don't know anything about that........;)

i think the whole hackintosh thing was deemed illegal a while back, but if not, a HUGE plus one for southpark.

I have recently been converted to MAC for recording thanks to Apogee. I ran hackintosh on my hp laptop (AMD) for a week (worked flawlessly once you get the kexts right) after getting the one then shelled out the money for a real MAC and a duet I couldn't be happier.

Back