• Mac

Votes: 217 32.8%
  • Both

Votes: 80 12.1%
  • Other

Votes: 21 3.2%

• Total voters
Wow, axe to grind much?
I didn't buy my Mac to record on, I record on my Mac because I bought it for everything else. I have run most major operating systems, and of them all, I tended to favor Linux and MacOS. I bought a Mac mini because it was super tiny for what it is, and space is at a premium where I live. It was smaller than my Linux box, though that was relatively small in comparison to most other machines (because micro-ATX is pretty sweet). This is also why I pack around a Asus EeePC... the smallest that I could get at the time...space is a concern, and I value the machine being both compact, and capable (runs Linux). That being said I was a bit of a gear junkie, so I had to try "the big three" for posterity.

for sure.. lol.. i dont really have an axe to grind.. haha.. just stating some stuff..

i use linux for evvveerrryything i can.. i got a linux server, and 2 linux laptops.. lol.. i love it

I gotta say PC. Mainly because I despise apple and their proprietary crap. Plus, If I were to buy an imac thats comparable to mine it would cost over $4,000 (I built mine for $1200

I prefer mac. Only because a)In my experience they are WAYYY more user friendly, b)I love the way OSX runs, and c)...they look fancy ;)

Thats the thing that bothers me about macs, they are a fasion statement! I know loads of people who have gone out and got a mac, but then they need a mac book to match, and then an Iphone to match that and now an Ipad. Other than being built a bit more robust, I am yet to have a problem with a pc that I havn't already had with a mac. They just appear as an fasionable statement of wealth. And at the end of the day, its like Pro Tools, I use Pro Tools, and love it, more importantly I have reason to use it. But the only reason it is so highly reguarded is because someone "cool" liked it first

Generally speaking I am not into yeah this and boo that. I'm into yeah this and yeah that. Why does it always have to be one or the other. I like them both. That being said, I was just shopping interfaces and after all the reviews I saw with so many problems, I figured shucks get a MOTU 896 MK3 and an IMac with the 21" screen and be done with it, that is after another 600 for the DAW. Then I realized that I was getting a dual core 3.0 Intel chip in the Mac with a 500GB HD or smaller, and my PC that I built has a quadcore 2.9 with 8 Gig's and a Terabyte drive for half the money. So rather than spend 2800 getting that setup with the MAC I put my money into the RME Fireface UFX instead that works equally as well in both a PC and a MAC, and that is unusual. With Pro Tools 9 it ran me less than the Mac Setup and check out the RME, it's on another planet. New technology. Just came out.

They say "you get what you pay for." Yeah, I saw it further up the thread. Well, I say that's plain dumb. Anything you pay for, you get, isn't that so? So it's like saying you get your money's worth, which is not always true. If that were true you'd look no further than the price tag and who's stupid enough to shop that way?

Myself, I've never owned or borrowed a Mac, have had many PCs, bought 4 laptops, built more than that many non-portable machines. Macs from my point of view are way to expensive. Aside from that, the software and accessories available are vastly more extensive on the PC. I'll take extensive over expensive, thank you.

I use Pro Tools, and love it, more importantly I have reason to use it. But the only reason it is so highly reguarded is because someone "cool" liked it first
That's amazing..
Imagine someone cool hadn't liked it first.........None of us would even know the name of Pro Tools.

Last edited:
I Love my MAC!!!! I just use it for recording and I havnt had to do any special upgrades other than bringing the amount of RAM up when I bought it! it is awesome not problems at all!!

Apple (Mac) by FAR!!! I've used both for a long time...

I started out with ONLY PCs (as did most). For the longest time I used Cool Edit Pro and a couple of other programs with a PC and felt like it was pretty good stuff--then came the G4! I entered the world of ProTools, 6 at the time, and boy was I amazed!!! The Mac just did what I wanted... no fuss, no hassel, and with only about 550 Mhz of Processor speed it ran like a dream! I used that all the way up until 7 and have upgraded since, but in that time I've tried PCs for what I'm doing as well. The simple truth is: No PC outta the box is going to beat a Mac outta the box with 99.9% of DAWs (IMHO of course...).

I shouldn't have to tweak settings, turn off wifi, disable media center, install dual core optimizer (all of which I've experienced with a PC). The Mac has ALWAYS just worked, almost like it was just made for it. The flow is just better on a Mac and the digital music/recording community favors Mac in a similar way that ProTools (though not used by everyone) has become the front runner in most commercial situations. The way you can completely minimize a window without closing the program works better with programs like ProTools and Cubase. Mac get's my vote EVERY TIME! Yes, they are more expensive, but I bought a Mac Mini about 2 and 1/2 years ago and I'm still running PT 9 like I ran 7.3 :)

Not to say PCs are crap... I still have a PC notebook for school/work ;)

im about to buy a quad i reckon...my Macbookpro just sits there...I was going to get an imac and make the shift but its not worth it for me, even when traveling i go for my viao before the macbook...strange what folks prefer

dont know to be honest man, i use pro tools...

if u decide ur lookin a sale, i'll be pickin one up before june (latest) and i'm in UK.

I use a Dell Studio XPS laptop with a secondary monitor. I've not ran into too many problems so far, except for when I'm doing studio stuff for about 5 or 6 hours straight it heats up and slows down, so then I have to quit for a while. I've not had any connection issues, though, so that's a plus.

Running Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit and Cubase 5 32-bit.

prolly not as i stuck logic 9 on it...when Im bored Ill learn it, I was told the mastering stuff in logic is pretty good ??

good that you hear it is good I have it but havnt finished anything so I can master it but I have looked and it looks like it should be cool lol

The way I see it is that there are 2 groups in these kinds of arguments.

Group 1
Pc users that hate on mac but prolly never even owned or used one with logic for more than 45mins.

Group 2
Mac users that hate on pc but prolly never even owned or used one with cubase for more than 45mins.

I have always had PCs and my dad has been working and programming c++ for 30years with PCs. In 2003 my dad bought a Mac Mini wich started the madness, since then:
2004 Macbook Pro
2005 Mac Pro
2006 Macbook (white)
2007 Iphones
2008 Newer Macbook Pro
2010 iMac 27" (used with logic pro 9)
2011 Mac Mini Server
2011 iMac I7 27"

So we have atleast found the macs to run stable, but everyones different really good pcs run really great but there are so many companies that make motherboards, memory, etc. so theres a bigger chance of getting a bad pc. But you get what you pay for a good Pc isnt cheap.

Best Regards

Dajo

Back