PC Laptops: issues with random clipping sounds

msd1835

I am having some issues. I usually use a desktop for my recordings, but I have started to use some virtual instruments on a laptop to perform. I am getting a clipping/stutter sound out of two different pc laptops when I use external sound cards. This happens with regular mp3 audio.

One is a Dell vostro with Core2 duo 2.10 ghz 4gb ram, the other a Fujitsu i3 2.27ghz 4 gb ram. Both are running Windows 7 professional. I am Trying to run a presonus firestudio project and Line6 toneport. I would use the headphone out on the laptops, but you get all the electrical\harddrive noise. All of these devices work fine on a desktop and I have used the line6 toneport on a toshiba laptop about 10 years ago with no problems.

I have tried to adjust buffer size and reloading drivers. I tried using asio4all and a few times the asio4all icon on the tool bar went to a red exclamation when the clipping occurred and then back to green when it stopped. Within Ableton the cpu meter never tops out when it happens, it just happens at random.

Am I missing something? Because it should be able to play at least mp3's without stuttering right?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Despite the CPU meter not topping out, it sounds like that is the problem - depending on what virtual instruments they are, you may be maxing out the laptop's abilities when you only have 4G RAM. Freeze/render the VSTi's and it should eliminate the problem.

Months ago Windows Update on Windows 7 started going wonky, and M$ has been slow to send out a patch (likely to push people into a Win8/10 upgrade :( ). Is it possible there's some stuff running in the background? The windows updates components you would see in task manager are svchost (using a lot of memory) and trusted installer (using a lot of cpu). Every time the computer starts and at random times of the day it could perform a check for updates and cause sluggishness. Quick fix would be to disable windows updates entirely.

Otherwise it *sounds* like driver issues. Happening on both laptops is strange. What would be the common denominator between the two laptops? [besides the interface being used]

I would say I was topping out the computer if it didn't do it playing an average mp3, but it won't even play that. I even reinstalled windows 7 on one today, just to make sure my boot up and background operations was clean. No change. I don't know what the common denominator between the two is because I have tried using different interfaces on them. One is USB and the other Firewire. It is quite perplexing.

Yes, 4G might be a little light but then this HP i3 managed with 4G fine for several years and an upgrade to 8G has not shown any improvement.

First job, download and run Cpclat to check for spike in the CPU demand. If you find any it therefore becomes a process of elimination to fix them but there are some basics you can do first.

Google for "W7 audio optimizations" or maybe someone here has a link? You basically need to set the Laptop for "best performance" not "best appearance".

Disable On Board Sound but, PITA I know, uninstall the present AI drivers first, then disable OBS and re-install. Worth running Ccleaner to spruce the Registry.

Disable Windows Sounds.

Disable any Wireless/Bluetooth capability in Services.

Turn off any anti-virus software. Tho' I run all my computers with Win SE and never have a problem, any other A.V. software might not be so unobtrusive.

Deep this one! Look in the MOBO manual for any CPU throttling programs, in any case set "Monitor, Hard Drive" and everything else to "Always On" Basically you do not want any battery saving regimes. Oh! And check the CPU temperature! Lappies can clog up same as desktops! It has to be said however that some laptops did not allow ordinary folk to access the CPU power saving proggs.

Finally you mentioned ASIO4ALL? Surely those AIs have their own ASIO drivers?

Ooops! Turn off Automatic Updates tho this means you will need to check for them from time to time.

Dave.

I would say I was topping out the computer if it didn't do it playing an average mp3, but it won't even play that. I even reinstalled windows 7 on one today, just to make sure my boot up and background operations was clean. No change. I don't know what the common denominator between the two is because I have tried using different interfaces on them. One is USB and the other Firewire. It is quite perplexing.

Is the onboard sound still enabled? If yes, try using that as an output source and see if MP3 playback works [unplug the interface for this test]. Then disable the sound in the bios or device manager, try the interface again. If onboard is already disabled, enable it just to test if MP3 playback works [with the interface disconnected]. If it's still a problem it's not the interface. Also make sure USB 2.0 and legacy USB are enabled in the bios. Chipset drivers for the motherboard? 4200/5400 speed hard drives? That Windows Update issue I mentioned causes hard drive activity, all that activity will slow basic functions down on a slower hard drive. Have you turned off windows updates just to see?

Since you don't know for certain the laptops aren't experiencing different issues with similar symptoms, I would focus troubleshooting on the fresh windows install one.

Do fundamental hardware checks. I use Memtest 86 for basic motherboard, chipset, and memory testing. It will generally reveal issues with one or more of these things if it doesn't finish a few passes error free. HDDScan is good to run within windows to check the status of the hard drive (SMART). is the cpu fan spinning/blowing hot air out? These fans die often in laptops over time and need replacement. Overheating CPU can cause this type of glitchiness.

Last edited:
Very nice Pinky! I wish I had your list of steps posted here. I would have found my issue, saved $200, and less hair pulling. Must spread rep before...

I will say that I just recently had the same issue with a new build. Yes, even Media Player would drop out, but not with the internal soundcard. Almost thought my interface was bad.

Ended up being the chipset driver for the mother board/W7. All works as it should now.

:thumbs up:

The audio playback works fine on the onboard sound card. Even the Virtual instruments, only problems there is that you here the electronic laptop component noise coming through.

Only when I use a high quality interface does it screw up. I have tried two USB interfaces and one Firewire. I will go through the list Pinky gave me and see if I can find anything.

Thanks so much you guys! I will let you know if I find anything.

Well, I tried all of those items, and I couldn't figure it out. I had to borrow one of my friends laptops for a performance, it has a little more power (an i5 dual core as opposed to my i3 dual core) same amount of ram. I really don't know what to do at this point, but to save up for something new.

Well, I tried all of those items, and I couldn't figure it out. I had to borrow one of my friends laptops for a performance, it has a little more power (an i5 dual core as opposed to my i3 dual core) same amount of ram. I really don't know what to do at this point, but to save up for something new.

What did the DPC latency checker reveal? I would have thought an i3 laptop should at least run clean audio from a USB interface. This HP i3 g6 does and has been used with an 8i6, an Alesis iO2 and is superb with an NI KA6!

What does the performance chart show you in Task Manager when the fault occurs? Have you tried disabling Aero?

If you really cannot get it to work I suspect the PC has some form of CPU "throttling" regime and this may be one you cannot access to turn off? Unless you get some very deep BIOS assistance and maybe not even then. Not all laptops can hack an AI even tho' their "paper" specc' shows they should.

I am not sure whether it would matter in this instance or not but have you got Hyper threading enabled? You can find out from "Speccy".

Dave.

Last edited:

I'm willing to bet, based on everything posted to this point, it's some type of motherboard/chipset/usb driver issue. Only thing that can explain why the interface works fine on another machine and onboard works fine on yours. The onboard doesn't use USB and the other computer you borrowed likely had the correct drivers loaded. Sometimes people have luck updating those drivers by going to Intel's website and running their driver update utility (it's very likely to be an Intel chipset since it's an i3 CPU).

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24345/Intel-Driver-Update-Utility

Holy crap! DPC latency checker, did I miss that somewhere? It told me some stuff to disable...LAn, bluetooth, wifi, etc. So I disabled all of them at once and suprise, it will actually play an mp3 now without clipping. Now I will test some beefier vst instruments and see what happens.

Big thanks guys!!! To everyone!!!

Well I disabled practically the entire laptop and Kontakt is running smooth with some hefty orchestral samples so I think I am going to be ok. I think a big culprit was the internal web cam, something I didn't realize was on the laptop because I don't use it. Evidently it is USB based. Every few seconds I am getting a yellow peak on the dpc checker, but it doesn't clip anymore.

Thanks guys for getting me straightened out!!!

"Holy crap! DPC latency checker, did I miss that somewhere?"

Yes, I informed you thusly six days ago.

Dave (aka smug bastard...for a wile!)

"Yes, 4G might be a little light but then this HP i3 managed with 4G fine for several years and an upgrade to 8G has not shown any improvement.

First job, download and run Cpclat to check for spike in the CPU demand. If you find any it therefore becomes a process of elimination to fix them but there are some basics you can do first.

Google for "W7 audio optimizations" or maybe someone here has a link? You basically need to set the Laptop for "best performance" not "best appearance".

Disable On Board Sound but, PITA I know, uninstall the present AI drivers first, then disable OBS and re-install. Worth running Ccleaner to spruce the Registry.

Disable Windows Sounds.

Disable any Wireless/Bluetooth capability in Services.

Turn off any anti-virus software. Tho' I run all my computers with Win SE and never have a problem, any other A.V. software might not be so unobtrusive.

Deep this one! Look in the MOBO manual for any CPU throttling programs, in any case set "Monitor, Hard Drive" and everything else to "Always On" Basically you do not want any battery saving regimes. Oh! And check the CPU temperature! Lappies can clog up same as desktops! It has to be said however that some laptops did not allow ordinary folk to access the CPU power saving proggs.

Finally you mentioned ASIO4ALL? Surely those AIs have their own ASIO drivers?

Ooops! Turn off Automatic Updates tho this means you will need to check for them from time to time.

Dave"

I still don't see Dpc latency checker anywhere in that post. The only thing that may prove a resemblance is "cpclat," but googling that will give you nothing productive.

But regardless It did straighten things out for me so thanks!

Matt

It's worth saying that shutting down un-necessary bloatware (especially things like wifi, bluetooth and anti virus) is a good tip for ANY computer, not just laptops. Often you can get away with leaving it on, but your reliability goes up without things that can grab processor cycles in the background.

Back