PC Laptop Recommendations?

matt_macfarlane

Hello,

i'm looking to take the plunge & get my first laptop, partially for recording on location, but mianly to edit & mix. My mixes tend to get pretty huge and involve juggling mountains and mountains of small .wav files or large ones cut into tiny pieces, all in CoolEdit Pro 2.0, so I know I need a fast processor, a lot of RAM and a 7,000+ RPM hard drive. I also use Ableton Live and Reason 3.0, but so far those have not slowed down my current desktop PC (AMD Duron, 1-1.5 GHZ or so, w/ 512 MB ram). This system I have now is all right, but gets bogged down when working with so many small files in CEP2 and also the MIDI latency times in Reason are unacceptable.

I am new to the laptop world, and want to spend whatever it takes to get a great (not good or decent) product that will do what I want now and be able to take on future projects & requirements without breaking a sweat. Does anyone know any good companies that manufacture laptops specifically for music/audio? or multimedia in general? i heard Alienware makes fantastic stuff, but I hate all the Alien decor they put all over their shit (not that that would stop me if they're the only people manufacturing what I need), plus they cost more because they include audio features I'm not gonna need since I'm going with an external USB input device. I know Macs are supposed to be better, but I am looking to stay with a PC for cross-compatibility with my other systems.

Any recommendations or info on good places to start?

Thanks,

Matt

I've always relied on Millenium music and have never been let down... a really nice bunch too! :)

Check out the soundonsound website and check reviews of music build laptops. They're nonbias and are very brutal!

Back