Which PC configuration regarding my profile?

res_publica

Hello there.

I'm completely discovering the joys of DAW with Ableton Live (I'm really a VERY beginner). I'm using right now an old Dell Precision M4400 with 4GB RAM + Core 2 duo T9400, and I'm quite surprised I succeeded to create some tracks… But as you can guess it's quite hard, since there are many cracklings and delays.

I would like to buy a new PC to create some music with Ableton Live (I just need it for DAW, anything else is not my problem). I have a budget of 700€ MAX ($750 max). I think I don't care if it's a laptop or a desktop computer.

Some precisions about my profile and what I'm looking for:

- It's just a hobby. I don't want a professional setup, and I don't think I will perform live for a few years. I just create and mix some audio tracks I export on soundcloud and stuff.
- I only use Ableton Live with embedded instruments (or with packs I download). I create some midi tracks, I choose my instrument from the list, I add midi effects, audio effects, and then mix all tracks together. For now I have maybe 5 or 6 tracks + effects simultaneously but I guess the number can raise in a few weeks/months.
- I don't use any external tools for now (using my sh**ty laptop keyboard for now). I have a very old sh**ty casio keyboard somewhere, I guess I could use it later to be more comfortable. Maybe by adding a sound interface with midi input? I don't think I'll record anything with a mic (at least it's not in my projects).

It's very basic as you can see. I'm a complete beginner. In the future I'd like to add some samples (and why not create them).

I really don't know if I should invest in the most powerful computer I can buy, or choose one with a little less power, but add an audio interface with it. Will it help performance if I add one, or is it only necessary if I use external devices?
It seems everywhere that the more advised config is at least an i7 and 8/16GB ram. Could an i5 do the trick?

Thank you very much in advance. :thumbs up:

Hi!
Welcome to HR. :)

First, the crackling and what not on the dell - are you certain it's performance limitation?
I mean, it probably is but did you ever check CPU usage, memory usage or HDD I/O to prove it?
You may simply need to adjust your buffer settings for higher latency.

Having a dedicated audio interface would probably help in this respect because the drivers are made for the job and generally do better in terms of latency etc than built-id audio would.

Regarding i5 vs i7, it's not that simple.
Higher end i5 chips beat lower end i7 chips. There's a lot of overlap so the badge alone means nothing.

That said. any i5 or i7 will do home recording just fine and your description doesn't sound massively intensive.
I mean, if a mobile C2D chip was doing it, you're good! ;)

If Ableton = looped stuff = sample libraries, then HDD upgrades are going to more significant to you.
SSD is the thing to do if you have large sample libraries. It's not essential but there are massive performance increases over any spinning drive even with cheaper/older SSDs.

Hope that's useful and please, tell us more. :)

Thank you for your reply Steenamaroo :).

- For the crackling, it's when I add too much effects and automation. I fought for hours to be able to export my track correctly, even when raising the buffer limit.
- Thanks for your precisions about audio interfaces. Sometimes I read it improves performance, sometimes I read it's only needed if you're using external devices. So if I connect an audio interface (like a UR12 Steinberg?) and don't use any device, part of the audio treatment will be done by this, instead of the CPU, right?
- Yeah, I heard about i5/i7 which is complicated, since good i5 can beat lower i7. I try to understand all the benchmarks but as you can guess, it's hard for me :).
- About hard drives: So if I don't have too much to spend, I could use an SSD and put all my samples on it I use when working, to improve perf, and then put them back on a slower HDD when I'm finished? It will raise read speed?

Thanks again :).

- Thanks for your precisions about audio interfaces. Sometimes I read it improves performance, sometimes I read it's only needed if you're using external devices. So if I connect an audio interface (like a UR12 Steinberg?) and don't use any device, part of the audio treatment will be done by this, instead of the CPU, right?

Hi again,
I'm not sure it's simple as that but, yes, there should be some appreciable performance increase because the drivers for 'proper' audio interfaces are designed for low latency and multiple IO.
Basically, they're made for the job and, therefore, better at it.

- Yeah, I heard about i5/i7 which is complicated, since good i5 can beat lower i7. I try to understand all the benchmarks but as you can guess, it's hard for me :).

I understand. Don't sweat it too much.
If you are considering a particular machine just have a glance at the CPU benchmark lists to make sure you aren't being sold a lemon.
Sometimes they put a lower spec chip in there but it gets the same i5 or i7 sticker on the box. ;)

- About hard drives: So if I don't have too much to spend, I could use an SSD and put all my samples on it I use when working, to improve perf, and then put them back on a slower HDD when I'm finished? It will raise read speed?

If you think the work you're doing is heavy enough going then yeah...An SSD for sessions and samples is a great idea.
That's exactly what I do. Samples on SSD, sessions on another (overkill for most) then when finished the sessions get stored on a larger, slower, spinning disk.

Ok, thanks again Steenamaroo!

I just ordered a Steinberg UR22, I'll keep this thread up to date, to tell if my perf have improved, and if I still need right now a new PC :).

As you have a laptop for general duties I would go for a desktop.

You probably just need the tower? I bet you have a kbd and mouse about the place? Peanuts if you don't. Monitors, $20 from a charity shop or you can use almost any FST! (I am presently listening to Radio 3 on a DT into my Sony Bravia 32", an ESI 1010e AI and a pair of small powered speakers)

See, in a laptop you are paying for monitor/kbd/mouse leaving less dosh for performance.

SSD? The above PC has one, a Crucial 240G jobbie. Boots faster than the old spinner but HOH cannot say it makes a lot of diff' for day to day usage, YMMV. But! Tis silent, low power and will probably outlast me!

With a DT you can fit a USB 3.0 (even 3.1?) PCIe card, makes backup into a USB 3.0 drive PDQuick.

Dave.

Back