Partition problem

ColdAsh

Ive been partitioning one of the hard drives on my new computer so i can do a dual boot. So far i've partitioned one of them and put 98 on it. The second partition shows up in 98 but when i try to make the second partition the bottable partiton it says something like not system disk. How do i fix this? I have fortmated it and its got the system files on it and i have no problem using it in windows.

Windows98 must be on the primary partition of your root drive (C:). Consider it a bug. Not to worry though. What are you going to dual boot to, Windows2000 or XP? As long as it isn't another Win98 install (which would be impossible) it can be on any partition on any drive. The order to install in is Win98, and then whatever else - Win98 is stupid and will completely take over the master boot record if you install it after you install another OS.

That help?

Yeah 98 is on the primary partition but i cant even boot up the partition that i will be putting XP on so i dont think i can install it can i? Or is it possible to start up in 98 and from there install XP to the other empty partition? I think i've heard this is not a good idea and that i should hide 98 while instaling XP but if i do that and make the hard drive that XP is going on then it tells me on boot up that the hard drive isnt there or something to that effect.

dumb question here... have you put the system files on your d: part.. so that it can boot? If you format it in windows.. you can choose.."copy system files" or something... its like com.com and autoexec? without those.. DOS wont know what to do.

xoox

XP doesn't need to be able to boot from the second partition. When you install it, XP modifies the MBR (Master Boot Record) at the beginnig of the drive.

The XP installation CD is a bootable CD, all you have to do when 98 is done installing is stick the XP CD in and boot up the computer.

Three easy steps:

1. Partition you drive the way you want to.
2. Install 98 (to the C: partition)
3. Install XP and tell it to install to the second partition (D: or whatever it is) - format it to NTFS if you want

Thats it!!

Cheers everyone the dual boot is working. One question, how do i get me second, audio only hard drive to come up as drive F not D, seen as though i want D to be my burner, E my DVD player and F my audio hard disk.

Drive letter assignments:

Go to control panel ---> system ----> device manager and go to disk drives. Now right click on your audio drive go to properties and then to settings. Here is where you can change drive letter assigments. Same goes for CD/DVD drives as well.

Good luck.

Stray

Back