Paris Question?

Brian Rohrer

I'm thinking about getting a E-MU Paris Pro system and I want to know what all of you think about it. I also want to know what other equipment I would probably want to buy.

I believe they are no longer developing the PARIS. You can get it for a fantastic price -- but support will likely die off sooner or later.

Yeah I saw that they are no longer going to be makeing new hardware because the one chip they need is no longer being made but the web site says that they will keep providing support and they will also keep making new software. I still don't know if it's worth it though.

hello

I am a PARIS user and I would say it is one of the best systems out there, no question. But of course, you don't have to take my word for it. You might notice that a lot of the #1 hits and #1 engineers and grammy winners etc etc etc etc etc are done on PARIS.. call it co- incidence if you want... but the fact is, people with the highest credentials and credits choose PARIS, and these are people who can have whatever they want.

spend some time in the archives of the use group and see the type of people represented there, pretty intimidating.

http://www.greatidea.com/webnews/

And though EMU bought Ensoniq and is now theoretically discontinuing the hardware (now why am I not surprized?)
the software is made by Intellegent devices, which plans to continue to support it, and with this strong a user group, I expect PARIS to be around for a while, as long as it matters really. In fact, it just means the chance of getting PARIS cheaper, especially used/clearance, as people bail out thinking its all over. There are certainly posts on this subject as well.

My system is detailed in the DAW report in the ARCHIVE section of my website
http://www.pan.com/folksinger

I don't post my e-mail on line but you can contact me directly with questions via the "guestbook" link on my website, which e-mails me your entry.

It is hard to make a recommendation without knowing what you want to do, but, I find that for my needs, the 442 is enough, and the c-16 is integral to PARIS's advantages over other systems. As well, as an integrated package, remember that you are getting everything, hardware, software, and control surface, for the price.
I haven't even bothered with the latest and long awaited V3.0 software, since it adds MIDI implementation that I just don't need.

Perhaps that is the difference though. PARIS was designed and intended as a high(est)-end digital RECORDING system for commercial studios, so it wasn't concerned with MIDI, synth, or anything except recording, mixing and mastering. The assumption I suppose was that a studio would have all that stuff as seperate units, that would produce an analog, or digital, signal that fed to PARIS. These are people who have single units that cost more than I will probably make in my entire life.

but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend PARIS over any system out there, though I am certainly not an expert on the subject! At best (or worst) you know that if you don't have a #1 hit, you can't blame the gear you recorded it on.

peace
Brian
Folksinger

Back