Panning in REAPER

cormac

This is my first time posting on this board.

Please be kind..

I downloaded reaper about a month ago--still getting used to it--going thru an AKAI EIE pro, overall a very modest recording situation. For some reason when I try to pan anything hard right it completely cuts out. This is very problematic.

I guess I just want to know if it's an issue with the program or the AKAI or whatever. I really like reaper so far and I'd like to know why this is happening and if it can be fixed if anyone has any insight.

Thanks.

Are you recording mono sources to stereo tracks? If you do, and you use certain kinds of stereo panning, you'll get that outcome. Record mono sources to mono tracks.

Now, you said "...try to pan anything...", but what exactly do you mean by "anything". There is the case where the actual audio on the track is in stereo, with silence on the right-hand side, and in a certain mode the pan knob acts more like the balance knob on a home (or car) stereo, simply fading out whichever channel you pan away from. I'm not sure that this is what you've got going on here, though.

More likely something you've got patched wrong in the analog domain.

"Anything" refers to instruments. whether it's guitar, drums, vocals etc. It's mono input to a mono track. There is a mono/stereo switch on the AKAI but that's only for the monitor when recording so yr voice or what have you isn't only in yr left ear.

There is a very good chance that I'm just missing something. Just wanted to see if anyone had a similar problem.

How are you monitoring? Monitor speakers plugged into the Akai? Headphones? Have you tried it both ways? How about selecting your output device as your computer's built-in soundcard, just to see if the problem is how your DAW is recording or set up, or if it's the Akai?
When you pan a track all the way right, do you see the bar meter lights moving in Reaper in the right channel of that track and the master?

Headphones. I don't have speakers yet. I was just messing with it for a while and I don't know what the problem is. Plugged headphones into the computer and it's the same deal, no panning. I'm trying to see if there's anything in preferences that can help but I really don't know. Doesn't look like it.

yeah the meter is switching to the right channel but it's still not working. i saw something about a routing matrix on another thread that i'm gonna try messing with. I'm too angry at this right now.

So, the problem follows the headphones when you put them on another device? Perhaps it's the headphones.

I assume you're putting them into stereo headphone outputs. If you connect them to balanced mono output you would get something like what you describe. Things panned center or left would be in both ears, but things panned right would be silent.

Do you maybe have an adapter on the headphone plug (1/8" to 1/4" or the other way) that is not a stereo adapter?

I am going thru a headphone amp connected with a balanced 1/4". And I know it's not the headphones. They're fine. I did a google search and this happens all the time apparently. Some people have been able to figure it out--which is encouraging. Something about the routing matrix? I don't know where to go from there though.

I don't know how to do it in reaper, but you probably need to take a look at your IO settings.
I don't mean within the session; I mean reaper's preferences.

In Protools there's an IO panel where you can select your master out and all your other IO.
I guess reaper has the same thing somewhere.

HUP... figured it out... staring me right in the fucking face the whole time in preferences... OUTPUTS: 2!! of course!!

i knew it'd be simple. i feel like an idiot. i don't care. fuck you guys. (kidding. i do appreciate it)

Back