Panasonic SV-3700 to Pro tools?

Thanks for the info Rob.

I know of at least one device that can't stand voltage over 0,5V: the Philips DSS digital hifi amplifiers. The input on these is dead after connecting a 1V signal.

My RME is a bit high too, with 0,8V, but it never damaged anything. I've encountered TV sets that put out 1 V. Sonos players come to mind too. That's why I prefer optical, if present.

Going the other way is much harder - I bought a Yamaha DMC1000 mixer years ago, second hand pin Ebay - ex-Kate Bush's studio. Lit up like a Concorde airplane - then I found it only had 3 analogue inputs - everything else digital, on multipins, and none of my SPDIF machines had enough output, and while the Panasonic DAST machine went in ok - nothing else I had worked, and in the end I gave up trying to even give the thing away, and it went into landfill - which is very sad, but it was impossible to interface with anything I could find.

That's exactly the kind of detailed info I was thinking I might need. I'll try the set up when the new cables come and see how it all works.

Let me also run a possible work around by you in the meantime. I can go from the SV-3700 into a Mackie D8B DAW Via the AES/EBU ins and outs using mic cables. Once I'm in the D8B, I can go out via it's SDIF ins and outs. I would assume the board will make whatever conversion if necessary within it's processors and I'd assume (famous last words) we'd avoid the level issue . Any thoughts on this? The D8B was a great board in it's day (I've heard they mixed the audio for TV show X Files on it) And since it dates to about the same era (1990s) I'd expect them to be compatible.

Either way I'll have to wait until the good SDIF cables come to try it out!

It occurs to me that a couple shots might help. Here's the back of the SV-3700. It was a bad ass machine it it's day.

IMG_7819.jpg

Here's the D8B:

IMG_7812.jpg

And the D8B digital ins and outs:

IMG_7818.jpg

And last but not least, the ins and outs on the Apogee Ensemble:

IMG_7820.jpg

My apologies if the pictures aren't in the correct orientation. When I previewed this, some came in wrong and I don't see a way to correct that.

You could go through the D8B, but that seems like overkill. I'd scrounge up a free composite video cable and go straight from one DAT to the Apogee.

AES3 cables look like mic cables but aren't. A mic cable might work but you'll be risking increased error rates.

Back