P&Q Codes

Soundscaper

I have a question. The manufacturing company I use requires that the Glass master CD-R that I supply them have P&Q Codes. What is this? I have Cakewalk 9, soudforge 4.5 and cool edit. Do any of these programs have this? The also want the CD to be burned to Red Book Standard. Will these programs do this? I have a USB Sony Spressa CD Burner. Please Help.

Thanks

Cakewallk will not provide PQ codes (it doesn't have the capabilities to burn CD's). I don't happen to know if Sound Forge or Cool Edit will. Wavelab 3.0, however, will do this. Wavelab will also burn to Red Book standards. As for what PQ codes are, the following is taken from the Wavelab help text:

"PQ codes and WaveLab's solution for handling them -

The PQ codes convey information about Track Start, Sub-Indexes and Pauses, as described above. They also contain the timing information (minutes, seconds, frames). To fit all this information in, a block of PQ information is spread out over 98 small frames.

Specifying PQ codes is not complex. However, when creating a CD there are a number of rules you must take into account. For example, there should be some silent frames before each track, Sub-Indexes should be slightly early, there should be pauses at the beginning and end of the entire CD, etc.

In WaveLab, all these hidden rules are collected in a dialog box called "Advanced Settings". If you don't change these, you will get default values that ensure your CD will work properly. On the other hand, when the situation so requires, you can adjust them. We recommend you leave these settings as they are, unless you are completely sure of what you are doing."

Hope this helps.

BTW, how do you plan to create a glass master?? Doesn't the duplication house prepare the glass master themselves from your CDR??

Back