overclocking my Athlon XP-2000+

shackrock

ME:

ASUS A7V333 KT333 MB W/ ATA133
AMD Athlon® XP-2000+ Processor AS22
gig of ram

so a while back I upgraded from xp home to xp pro, and at the same time from a delta44 to a Q10.

after these changes, and hella system tweeks, diff. hardware profiles, etc. etc... I've seen my same vegas 5 files that worked fine before start to choke and freeze up 2nd time around.

I managed, and found a way around it, but now I'm kinda mad because it's starting to do it again. haha.
really it's just like my mixes that have several DX effects on up to 30 tracks. You know, usually it'd be ok and work fine. but since these changes it's like my system just can't handle it.

next step without buying a better computer = overclocking?

I don't know a thing about it, but I'm willing to do it, ha!

How do i do it, is it safe for my setup, and what do i set it to?

btw again, I use the internet/AIM/some random games on this computer too. They are all on a seperate profile AND hardware profile (my recording profiles has minimallllllllllllllllllllll everything).

thanks guys.

You can't overclock an XP-2000+ because they run hot and the multiplier is locked.

hmm, well crap. haha

any other ideas then? haha.

if i go to properties on my "my computer", it says it's running at 1.25Ghz.....that seems slower than it should no?, but i have no idea. ha. I know that 2000+ is a total lie, but still... 1.25?! ha.

yeah see...look:

Rival AMD cranks up the clock speed with the release of its Athlon XP 2000+. Running at 1667MHz, the new AMD chip is a simple bump forwards for the successful XP core.

i foudn that on a website.

and i'm at 1.25Ghz? ha. change me!! ha.

Go into your BIOS and make sure the FSB is set properly ... 133MHz, IIRC. I'll bet it's at 100MHz right now. Motherboards sometimes lose their settings for no reason, even when the cmos battery is good.

Let me know if that fixes it.

MrBoogie

im also running a athlon xp 2000+ and i get just about 1.7.....mine ran at the speed yours is running at until i took the little jumper off my motherboard that was limiting it...dont change nothing in your bios until your read your motherboards manual! If you change your fsb you risk the chance of the system not booting up at all and will have to reset your bios with another jumper trick.

Markaholic said:
im also running a athlon xp 2000+ and i get just about 1.7.....mine ran at the speed yours is running at until i took the little jumper off my motherboard that was limiting it...dont change nothing in your bios until your read your motherboards manual! If you change your fsb you risk the chance of the system not booting up at all and will have to reset your bios with another jumper trick.

The FSB for the Athlon XP 2000+ is SUPPOSED to be 133MHz (clock multiplier(12.5) x FSB(133) = 1.67GHz).

The fact that his system was faster and now is choking on the same stuff suggests that somethings has changed on its own. Dip switches usually don't do that. (Anyway, might as well check the dip switches, too; but the default setting for that board is "jumper free mode" so that's probably not the problem - OTOH, maybe Shackrock purposely switched those jumpers when he was "tweaking" his system??)

While it is good advice to check the manual, Shackrock probably has or should have done that before even posting here.

If you're ever messing around in your BIOS, and your system won't boot up after that, clear the CMOS. Then you'll be back at the default settings and your system will boot up. This is a pretty typical scenario when someone is overclocking - trying different FSBs and voltages, which is generally what you change to overclock an Athlon.

MrBoogie

As I understand it, the firmware of certain VIA chipsets doesn't play nicely with certain hardware, and the Aardvark is an example of "certain hardware". You might look into this. There is a well-known "fix" for this - which I can't remember much about right now. Since you switched audio devices, this is what I'd look at first. Forget overclocking.

P.S. There's another thread in this forum that jogged my memory: You need the "4 in 1" drivers for your VIA chipset.

Alright guys, now i'm getting somewhere. haha.

first off, I don't even know where the motherboard jumpers are and what they are there for, so I definately didn't change those. haha.

I can install PCI/AGP cards, add/remove ram, and cd/harddrive/dvd drives the same. However, I have no idea how to go into the motherboard physically and change stuff - so yeah...haha

I got the 4in1 drivers, thanks.

After I shower here, I'll check that FSB setting. Just to be sure, how do I clear the CMOS incase this stuff screws up? haha. Thanks!

Check you manual first. There should be a jumper near the battery. It will be on 2 of the 3 pins. Just move it over so that it grounds out the other pin ,then move it back to the original position.

wow, you guys rule. haha

checked in manual, found that by default my motherboard is in "jumper free mode", which lets me control everything by software, in the bios.

With just one setting change in hte bios (1250Mhz changed to 1667Mhz), it changed the FSB speed to 133 (from 100, like you said...haha) for me, and now I'm running back at 1.65Ghz. Thanks guys! haha. This saves me.

Back