Over 1Gb of Ram???

Fishybob

Hi,

Sounds like a simple question but I have no idea!

I put my PC together last year:
Athlon 2800, 120G HD, 1Gb Ram (2x512), Audiophile 24/96.

Now my software system has increased dramatically - Waves Platinum!!! Yay!
I'm finding that my computer is starting to struggle with running a dedicated (and powerful) eq on each track.

The performance bar is constantly very high (90% ish).

Would more Ram inprove computers ability to handle big software??

I have one remaining slot and could stick another Gig in if so!

I dont know if the performance is processor power or ram. how many tracks are you recording at once? If its over 4-6 i would say stick another gig in if you can. ram is pretty cheap at the moment, i just bought 2gb (2x1gb) for £120 off eBay. You could probably find yourself a decent deal.

Good luck man!

Peace

Mainly 4 - 6 tracks of actual audio with the same again in V-instruments (Trilogy, Grooveagent, various softsynths).

Because some of these run in RAM I was thinking of bouncing them to audio before final tweaks... sound like a good idea??? :confused:

You don't need ram unless you are stretching into your page file...event hen you dont really need it.

In the performance tab of task manager there are two bars...CPU Usage and Page File Usage...only one is measured in percentages so that would be your CPU usage.

You need more ram if when you are doing this stuff the page file is well over 1000 MB, but since its your CPU that is almost maxed...

With a 2800 you should be able to do quite a bit.

Two things:

Look at task manager immediately when you start up your computer. What is the CPU usage % at?

Close down all unnecessary processes when you are doing audio recording. Web browser, instant messaging, stuff in your taskbar tray, etc...

If that doesn't work, then..

You either need to get a better CPU or overclock it just a little...enough so that it doesnt dramatically increase its heat. I can't recommend overclocking until you've read up on it and know a little about what it entails. It's fairly easy to do. Try www.majorgeeks.com or www.overclockers.com for info on it.

Thanks for that.

Is there anywhere that I can find a list of what processes to keep... they all seem to be in shortened jargon?

I could also do with a list of processes to disable / enable within the system page??

Fishybob said:
Thanks for that.

Is there anywhere that I can find a list of what processes to keep... they all seem to be in shortened jargon?

I could also do with a list of processes to disable / enable within the system page??

The MajorGeeks.com forums help with determining that stuff. You might also have spyware sucking up processor power. They help with most of that stuff, but spyware definitely installs running processes on windows startup. They can also direct you to a program that analyzes the processes you have running on startup.

The most this might free up is about 10-20%, I would imagine.

My advice would be to see, at that forum, how much you could reasonably overclock your cpu without having to add extra cooling to your system.

I know you could OC that to a 3200+ at least, but that might not be enough. Can I ask what socket and model your CPU is?
Athalon 64?

Back