Opinions on TASCAM US-1200 Audio Interface

Xcaliber

I tried searching for this, but couldn't find any specifics info about this device. I am looking at picking up a TASCAM US-1200 to replace my Presonus Audiobox USB. Does anyone have any experience with it? Good, bad or indifferent? Any other suggestions for audio interfaces in the $200 range? I'm also considering the Scarlett 2i4, but thought if I could get the extra mic inputs for the same money I should. I also like that this one has it's own "standby" switch so I can power it off when I'm not using it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I would guess it uses the same guts and drivers as the 1800. I have seen favorable reviews on the 1800.

Never used the 1200, I have the 1800. I've had it for over a year now and no problems. Works just fine, plenty of in's, and the mic pre's are clean. I got my 1800 on sale at GC for 200+change on sale and a little haggling.

Thanks for the input guys. I found info/review on the 1800, but couldn't find much on the 1200. Good to know I should be able to get some idea from the 1800 reviews.

I also just found The Behringer U-Phoria UMC1820: Behringer U-PHORIA UMC1820 | Sweetwater.com

Looks like it's brand new. Is Behringer a reliable brand? Can I trust that it will be ok? There's a lot of device there for the money it seems.

I haven't used or owned any Behringer equipment, except for a HA400 Headphone amp that was like $15 bucks (no problems, works, not very powerful though-expected for $15)

Any way, personally I tend to steer away from Behringer, bad reputation for cheap inferior products. Not convinced they will last much longer than their warranty.

I would hold out and shop around for the Tascam US-1800. I know you can find one for around $200 new.

You could even try eBay: tascam us-1800 | eBay

Good luck.

I've got a Tascam US800 which I find very solid with no issues excet the limited output jacks (RCA only) - looks like the 1200 has balanced TRS outs (why don't they include XLR?) The Behr unit is not due out until September, but I wonder about it's quality with 8 mic preamps for under $200.

The main reason I want to "upgrade" is to get rid of the "inputs too hot" problem that the Audiobox supposedly has. I can't tell if I'm experiencing it or not with mine, but I do have to turn down the input and/or output levels in Amplitube 3 when I'm recording guitar to get it to stop clipping. I also have the gain on the Audiobox set to about 9 o'clock (1/4 of the way up) and getting it any higher will cause the "clip" light to show that the signal is clipping. I'm hoping the instrument level inputs on the TASCAM will take care of that problem (since the Audiobox doesn't have padding).

The main reason I want to "upgrade" is to get rid of the "inputs too hot" problem that the Audiobox supposedly has. I can't tell if I'm experiencing it or not with mine, but I do have to turn down the input and/or output levels in Amplitube 3 when I'm recording guitar to get it to stop clipping. I also have the gain on the Audiobox set to about 9 o'clock (1/4 of the way up) and getting it any higher will cause the "clip" light to show that the signal is clipping. I'm hoping the instrument level inputs on the TASCAM will take care of that problem (since the Audiobox doesn't have padding).

The Audiobox has a gain setting.

I ended up finding a seller on eBay with refurbished TASCAM US-1800s for $189 with full manufacturers warranty. I jumped on one, should be here by next Wed. Thanks for the info!

I ended up finding a seller on eBay with refurbished TASCAM US-1800s for $189 with full manufacturers warranty. I jumped on one, should be here by next Wed. Thanks for the info!

Oh! You will be much better served with the 1800 IMO.

I found a specc' for it and the 1200 and the latter looks as if you would have similar headroom problems to those with the Audio box.

The 1800 has a guitar input max of +10dBu that's over 3volts and few if any passive guitars will reach that. Even 9volt powered pedals only just about kick +10.

The 1800 has a well deserved, loyal following and I have read of almost no problems with it save a rather weak headphone amp. Easy fix! One thing Behringer do quite well is cans amps!

Dave.

Thanks Dave! That makes me even more excited for it to show up and start using it! What's the fix for the weak headphone amp (sorry total noob here)?

Thanks Dave! That makes me even more excited for it to show up and start using it! What's the fix for the weak headphone amp (sorry total noob here)?

Well, don't let it worry you!
A few folks have reported that if they are running a noisy recording, drums say or startling guitar there is not enough level into the cans when tracking at the -18dBFS or so that all good little recordists should do!

To be nitty-picky about it the problem is more one of available gain and not "power" and is BY NO MEANS confined to the 1800 interface! Many more expensive units only fit a "gets them out of jail" headphone amp.

There are many external headphone amps on the market but Behringer make a one in four out jobbie for about $20 which gets a good rep'

I'll look for a linkypoo!
http://www.gear4music.com/Recording...ord__match__&gclid=CLbR1tuZuL8CFQ2WtAod2mMA3w

Dave.

Thanks! I'm definitely not worried about it right now since I only record guitar DI at this point. I do use the headphones to monitor while I'm playing though and to do some listening. The reason I like the 1800 though and all of the inputs is that I might end up doing live drums at some point. At this point I'll just have 2 mics for my amp and my guitar plugged in directly.

Simple question: Will the Tascam 1800 output a multitrack file to a tablet that accepts a USB input, saving a file that can later be downloaded into ProTools and split into 6 or 8 mono tracks?

Simple question: Will the Tascam 1800 output a multitrack file to a tablet that accepts a USB input, saving a file that can later be downloaded into ProTools and split into 6 or 8 mono tracks?

The answer (as I stated in your other post) is that it is whether the device you are recording to with the 1800 can handle the task. I can't say yes or no from my lack of experience with a tablet. Isn't a tablet just a small laptop?

What tablet? Specs of the one you are planning to use would help. :)

Can you load the Tascam driver on your tablet and do you have a program on your tablet to record to?

The Tascam does what the Tascam does... it outputs a converted audio stream, not files. The DAW software I'm guessing you don't have is what makes the files....

Can you load the Tascam driver on your tablet and do you have a program on your tablet to record to?

The Tascam does what the Tascam does... it outputs a converted audio stream, not files. The DAW software I'm guessing you don't have is what makes the files....

Yes. As I see it, if you had the tracks in Reaper you could save them to a stick (say) and load them up into any other PC that was running Reaper.

Will the tablet run Reaper?

Dave.

Can anyone confirm if the Tascam US 1200 works with pro tools 10? A guitar center employee told me it doesn't and it felt like he wasn't sure.

Can anyone confirm if the Tascam US 1200 works with pro tools 10? A guitar center employee told me it doesn't and it felt like he wasn't sure.

I cannot confirm, though I have heard that the UR series drivers do not work with PT10 because of how the buffer is setup.

Back