Opinions on Audio Production PC Build

It might be having PC issues, though I doubt it considering it is a fresh build and after I swapped out the graphics card I have real fast video. And while I appreciate your desire for me to have a SSD, at almost $900 for the size I need I don't think I will be doing that any time soon. I fill up a TB about every 3-4 weeks. Multiple artists with many, many, many tracks. My WD Blacks run just fine thank you very much.

Most people use the SSD for OS and maybe active project data and use the disk drives for long term storage. SSDs do give performance improvements since I/O is usually the bottle neck. Replacing a large traditional HD with SSD is very costly, but a hybrid approach would only cost nominal amount.

You are right, mass storage for SSD is usually not a cheap option or even a good long term from what I understand (read/write life). But in a hybrid situation, it is a very good option and with just audio, probably gives better performance than CPU/RAM upgrade.

Not saying to change, just saying it is not either or.

I've literally never had problem with firewire across about 6 interfaces, 3 windows laptops, 2 windows desktops and 3 macs.
Not a peep. Not even "It won't connect.....ah, there it is!"
Nothing.

I don't feel like a particularly lucky guy, either.

In what way to you believe the hardware is at fault? By bet would be on "I built their new computer"...No offence.
But then, you did the research and know exactly what chipsets were on each mobo etc so..yeah...Spiritual issues. ;)

Well perhaps you were not around in the days of Studio-Central, DV247, and other forums?
Nary a day would go by without someone posting a problem with an AI and Fire Wire. The issues varied.

Some could just not be made stable. Some refused to work at all. There was of course the TI chipset problem which in itself is a disgrace. AI manufacturers should have (should now?) ensured that their products worked with all the common chipset brands.

Laptops were an especial problem. Even if the chipset was TI (and even THAT was not universally ok!) often people found that the MOBO of the laptop simply could not cope with the demands of an AI, FW drive yes, but not an interface. Then of course there was the "6 pin,4pin" debacle.

And Deity help you if you got a FW hum/digital ground loop! Almost incurable it seems and peculiar to certain MOBOs.

So yes Mr S. Lacky Boy!

Dave.

Most people use the SSD for OS and maybe active project data and use the disk drives for long term storage. SSDs do give performance improvements since I/O is usually the bottle neck. Replacing a large traditional HD with SSD is very costly, but a hybrid approach would only cost nominal amount.

You are right, mass storage for SSD is usually not a cheap option or even a good long term from what I understand (read/write life). But in a hybrid situation, it is a very good option and with just audio, probably gives better performance than CPU/RAM upgrade.

This is exactly what I do. I have a 250GB SSD for apps and the current projects only, and a black WD 2TB for longer term storage (and a larger usb backup drive for weekly backups).

Thank you for the responses. You've all given me a lot to think about and I really appreciate it. I'll try and address what I can here. As (I think) I mentioned I'm a novice on this subject. Music is my life. Technology is the bane of it so this is all very helpful. What I may not have mentioned is that my budget is quite limited and while I want the build to include as much as possible of what I immediately need I intend to add more to the build over time (additional storage, optical drives, extra fans etc).

SSDs: My plan with the drives was to use an SSD for the OS and a HDD for storage. It sounds beneficial to increase the SSD size to include active projects. Im not sure how I ended up stuck on the Samsung drive, there do seem to be better options.

CPU/Chipset: My CPU shortlist ended up with 5820 vs 6700. Researching comparisons in the context of audio production and my specific priorities the 5820 seemed to come out on top in a fairly clear majority of those cases.

Video Card: This is somewhere I was hoping to aim low. The consensus seems to be that an active video card can be one of the noisiest components in a build. Additionally I realised that the worse my video card was the less susceptible I would be to losing hours of productivity to Steam sales. I looked into passive/fanless cards but most models I found recommended were no longer available. My research was hampered ny the fact that most discussion on video cards seems aimed at finding the best possible cards rather than the least someone could get away with so my choices there have ended up being total guesswork.

With regard to the builds being overkill, its a once bitten twice shy situation. I've spent the last Seven years with a Dell :-)|) laptop which was supposed to be designed for audio production but gave me nothing but hassle, noise, slowness, dropout and anger management issues. My intention with the new build, aside from all round improvement and longevity is to put together a PC that wont completely shaft me on time sensitive projects.

The QUO77 build sounds pretty great. Especially with the ability to use OSX since Logic is a true love of mine. On the other hand my interface (Roland VS-100) does not have firewire as far as I know, so I'd have to invest in a new AI and hope I dont encounter the myriad problems which seem to be characteristic of firewire and it sounds like the build itself may be much more complicated to use and upkeep for someone as technologically backwards as myself.

Thanks again for all the advice everyone, Im going to take your suggestions into consideration and work on some revised builds.

SSDs: My plan with the drives was to use an SSD for the OS and a HDD for storage. It sounds beneficial to increase the SSD size to include active projects. Im not sure how I ended up stuck on the Samsung drive, there do seem to be better options.

CPU/Chipset: My CPU shortlist ended up with 5820 vs 6700. Researching comparisons in the context of audio production and my specific priorities the 5820 seemed to come out on top in a fairly clear majority of those cases.

Video Card: This is somewhere I was hoping to aim low. The consensus seems to be that an active video card can be one of the noisiest components in a build. Additionally I realised that the worse my video card was the less susceptible I would be to losing hours of productivity to Steam sales. I looked into passive/fanless cards but most models I found recommended were no longer available. My research was hampered ny the fact that most discussion on video cards seems aimed at finding the best possible cards rather than the least someone could get away with so my choices there have ended up being total guesswork...

Samsung's drives are fine, the EVO series has been around a while and have been holding up better than others. Intel also makes good higher end options (their cheaper, I think CX(?), lineup are less reliable and definitely slower). For most needs, you can cut corners slightly with your SSD choice and get something middle-of-the-road now and it will be pretty awesome. You pay a premium for what amounts to increased benefits realized mostly on paper only.

The newer cpu/chipset will not run any slower clock for clock, and will consume less power. In the future, if you wanted, you could overclock the processor for a boost in performance near the end of its life (to buy you a bit more time before the next upgrade). I hear you though on older tech being adequate, I'm using an i7 4700 that's a couple years old now but crunches through multiple VSTs and effects layers just fine. But if I was buying new, now, and with the future in mind I'd spend a little more for the latest.

Browse Newegg, they have pictures of their products and you'll probably find a lower end video card with passive cooling there relatively quick. Then you can cross shop that model elsewhere if needed. Or maybe google it? :D

https://www.google.com/?ion=1&espv=2#q=nvidia passive cooling

Back