One Man Band Tips

DM60

Not even sure if this thread is even worth while, but thought since most of us pretty much do thing alone, might be a good place for tips and tricks.

One item I did want to bring up was, a controller on a tablet or phone for remote control of the recording computer/DAW. I know Reaper now has the ability to control their software via web app. I assume they are using Nose.JS since it doesn't require a webserver to run.

I started using TouchDAW a couple of years ago, but at first it really didn't work well. Then they just updated some drivers for Bonjour and the app itself and now it works really well. Plus it sets up like a controller. So it is probably supported by most DAWs that interface with various controllers.

TouchDAW - DAW controller and MIDI utilities for Android™ Works on Apple and Windows for DAW, works on Android OS and IOS.

Nice thing about it is, if you are doing any kind of mic work and you want to stay away from the computer, set this up, run your mic as far as you can, have your tablet or phone near you and you can get your takes in without going back and forth. I found acoustic work or vocals it is a pain to record by yourself because of the back and forth. Plus setting up the mics for sound and testing.

I am sure there are other uses, but mic setup and recording I know it is very useful.

That's my first tip.

My vocal recording position (standing) was made easier by having a wireless mouse to trigger/pause recording.

Setting a computer's bios fan controller to 'quiet' (or the equivalent) is useful in mitigating computer noise. Many modern motherboards offer different fan speed curves for different operating temps. Some power supply fans can be loud, but few have any controls for this, so sometimes replacing the power supply with a quieter model is necessary.

Using lower speed and/or quiet model hard drives, or ssds only, also help reduce the overall sound emanating. Using older platter drives for only data storage doesn't require high performance drives. The higher RPM/performance branded drives tend to be louder. SSDs are slowly coming down in price and I hope to someday completely eliminate needing the second platter data drive. I need 1TB+ and those SSDs (even 2 x 512MB) are still too expensive.

Back