Omni I/O w/delta 66 card

gtrplayer_1966

Ok... here is what I have... Winxp, pentium 4 2.8

I installed the delta 66sound card and installed the software. The system sees the new hardware just fine. Device manager shows all is working well.

When I click on my little MAudio icon in the systray it pops up with the master vol and mixer inputs showing boucing levels when I play a sound file.

However, the problem is....I get No output.

I have the omni i/o hooked up correctly with the 15pin cable and with headphones plugged into the "Montior outs" L or R I get nothing. I get nothing in the phone output plug as well.

What is interesting though, is that if I plug the phones into anyone of the "Stereo Auxiliary Inputs" I can hear the music. It's at a low level, but I can hear it. I can't control its volume or anything, but I can hear it. This tells me that the signal is in there SOMEWHERE....but where????

I plugged the phones into EVERY input and output to test it out and the only thing I get is as above.

I have checked everywhere I can find on the MAudio Delta control panel and I'm at a loss here.

There just HAS to be a button or a box or something strange I have not clicked on.

Nothing is muted, all wires are good and I've started and restarted a number of times.

the driver software is from May 2005 for the Delta 66 sound card. There is no software or drivers for the Omni I/O.

As I said, I'm at a loss... please help.

thank you!

Matt

In the delta control panel under the "patchbay/router" tab do you have "Monitor Mixer" selected?

I think there is some switch that's turned off by default if I'm remembering correctly. Someone else who knows more difinitvely is bound to chime in here very soon. (Did you check M-Audio's website?)

As to not hearing it out of the Line Outs -- well, a line output isn't enough to drive a set of headphones.

Ok...here is where I am now.

1. Yes, I have monitor mixer turned on in the delta control panel
2. I still see the levels bouncing but no sound.

More interesting things....

I'm running my monitor outs to a sony stereo receiver. Now.... with my headphones plugged into the stereo receiver and the volume cranked, I can hear the light "pop" sound when powering on and off the Omni i/o box. I can also hear the same when inserting or unplugging my cords. This tells me that there IS in fact a SOME signal routing through the box to my receiver.

I hear NO music though.

However....once again, when plugging into the "Stereo Auxilirary Inputs" I hear the signal (music). BUT...it's not at volume at all. This is very strange because I have these inputs going to INputs of the stereo receiver. ????

This tells me that the box is processing SOMETHING that the sound card is sending the signal to the box.

This has got to be some goofy setting within my computer hardware profiles OR within the Delta console.

Am I on target?? If so....WHERE or WHERE is this setting??????

Please help!!!

thank you all!

I'm running my monitor outs to a sony stereo receiver.

What inputs are your monitor outs connected to on the Sony receiver?

However....once again, when plugging into the "Stereo Auxilirary Inputs" I hear the signal (music). BUT...it's not at volume at all. This is very strange because I have these inputs going to INputs of the stereo receiver. ????

Something's clearly wrong there. First off, Finally, connecting the inputs of one audio device to the inputs of another makes no sense, it's like trying to feed yourself through your butt...

Second, it sounds like perhaps you are plugging your phones into the aux inputs. That's no good, the levels aren't going to match evene if the Ins were outs.

Next, you say "when plugging into the 'Stereo Auxilirary Inputs' I hear the signal... This is very strange because I have these inputs going to INputs of the stereo receiver. ????" You obviously don't have the headphones connected to the Aux Ins of the OMNI and the Aux Ins connected to the receiver unless you've done some very special cabling...

So slow down for a moment and tell us what you have connected, exactly, and maybe we can help.

I have the Delta 66 as well and I remember when I first got it I thought something was wrong as well. The answer liees in the PatchBay/Routing tab of your control panel. I am at work and do not have it in front of me but I would go there and methodically change the selection until you hear your playback. It took me a while to get the hang of that patchbay thing, but it has a nice feature that allows you to save/load settings. Once you get it, save it and label it. I only have two saved right now, Playback Monitor and Record Monitor. I believe the setting farthest to your right in the patchbay will be the ticket.

Post your progress, I may be able to reply again when I get home and can look at it while I type.

Good Luck

HBH

AlChuck,

There is no "slowing down" needed. I'm very well versed at "cabling" so that is not the issue. The "disconnect" (if you will and no pun intended) lies in the comprehension of how I illustrate my problem here in the forum with typed text. This very much could simply be to the way I attempted to illustrate my problem here. Therefore, the first step is for me to CLEARLY explain the situation here in the forum so it is easily understood and so everyone can hopefully gain a clear vision of what I'm dealing with.

Lets start with the basics....

In a stereo reciever with RCA jacks on the rear panel, there are many "INs" and "OUTs," specifically R (right) and L (left). Once that unit is powered on an "IN" (other than a phono in) will accept any powered signal sent to it via RCA jack. This signal could be anything from an AM radio (although it won't come out stereo) to an out from a 100w guitar head unit. Granted you may blow something up, but an "IN" is an "IN."

As long as whatever you are sending to it is being "sent" (coming OUT of whatever) it will receive the signal. How it processes that signal is a whole different story as I'm sure you know, but it WILL get it.

Breaking my situation down to the raw components and the first simple signal path goes as follows.

OUT of the computer sound card, IN to the OMNI i/o, OUT to the stereo receiver.

IN to the receiver then out to speakers or wherever else one so desires to put it after that.

I have 3 (THREE) wires involved here.

1. 15 pin cable from sound card to omni i/0
2. DC power cord
3. dual channel (L and R) RCA cable

I have two 1/4 inch STEREO adapter jacks on one end of cable #3 to facilitate usage with the omni i/o box.

As above, when I go OUT of the omni i/o via the L and R Monitor OUTs to an IN to the stereo receiver I get nothing.

HOWEVER, as above, when I plug my jacks into the Stereo Auxilirary INputs of the omni i/o and run them to the IN of the stereo, I DO get sound at a low volume.

YES, this is very strange, and YES this does NOT Make sense. What it probably means though, is that the signal is IN the omni i/o somewhere and those AUX INs just happen to be picking it up at this lower level. Who knows, but I DO agree, it does not make sense. However, it is at this lower level and will not work correctly, so the bottom line, this is not an option.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you might be an idiot.

Your description remains somewhat fuzzy. Stereo receivers often have many "ins" as you say, but you have to select which one you are listening to, and you didn't mention that.

There's also often a Tape Monitor switch on a receiver's front panel. If you have that pressed in you won't hear anything.

Earlier I alluded to a switch on the device but no one has mentiond it since. So I'll do a search. OK, check this thread. (It even suggests why you might be hearing something from the INs...)

What application software are you playing your audio files from? You probably have to go into the software's controls to select the Delta 66 as your output source. You can also do it generically with the Windows control panel somewhere (I can't think of the right area at the moment but that is what I had to do).

The long and the short of it is that your computer has more than one place where your routing has to be setup, not just the Delta control panel but within Windows or your application software as well.

Darryl.....

Solved Solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok guys!!!! First off, let me open by saying that I'm a COMPLETE dumbASS!!!!! Good Lord!

Ummmmmm.... the CORRECT power supply MIGHT help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My sincerest apologies to everyone and especially AlChuck for my curt post trying to show that I, in fact, was not a dumbA$$, when IN FACT I was!

First step is "knowing" thought right???!!!!

Thanks again!

Now that I'm up and running, I'm sure I'll be back with more application questions!

AlChuck...

Ok...well, I've had the omni i/o for sometime and just never got around to hooking it all up. I bought it from my brother who sent it to me in a box, well packed with the included power supply. I unpacked the unit and instead of having it all sit out on my desk for weeks, I put things away. One being the power supply.

Last week when I started this endevor I couldn't find the "real" power supply, so I just used a generic one that I have and set it to the right polarity and to 9v. Hmmmmmmm.....

Today, I dug around and found the "Real" deal, hooked it up and BAM! All works like it should! Imagine that.

Everything seems to be working correctly from all aspects at this point.

Once I delve further into this thing I'm sure there will be more posts from me!

thanks again!!

Matt

Aha! Yeah, you need a power supply that has the right voltage AND current -- also, some are DC power supplies, others are AC. I can well imagine that the wrong one might result in weird behavior. It's good you didn't destroy the box...

Exactly! When I realized that it was affecting the performance I was in a panic in fear that I damnaged the box! So far so good.

Ok... now, a question. Are the monitor outs "Stereo" outs???? When I use 1/4" "Stereo" jacks out, I have to pull them about half way out to catch the signal. That tells me that they are mono outs. There is L and R monitor outs.

So... I used NON stereo jacks and when fully plugged in they work fine. However, it seems NOT affect the sound at unplugging one of them? Should I run both L and R outs or just use one? The "balance" with just one is fine, meaning I get signal in both L and R speakers. However, there is obviously a reason for the box to have the L and R monitor outs.

Hmmmmm.....

A line out is always a mono line out unless otherwise indicated.

The fact that you are getting no difference in output when you disconnect one of your monitor outs tells me that you are sending the identical signal out both L and R, and the stereo is sending them equally to the speakers. It's as if you are playing a mono LP on a turntable -- there's really only one channel, but the stereo will send the same signal to each spearker. So there's no real stereo separation in what you hear.

What you usually want to do is send the L output of your recording software out one wire and the R output out the other. Then you pan your signals left and right using the recording software's mixer and get your stereo separation, eg. put guitar one halfway to the left and guitar one halfway to the right, so when you listen back they sound spatially seperated. Otherwise you just have mono.

Ok...good to go then! thanks again!

What software would you recommend as good user friendly for recording?

I do guitar, with drum loops or machine, and base line with some vocals as well.

thank you!

Back