Old vs new cubase

moonstation2000

I have just gotten back into recording after 15 years. So my interface, software etc are all 15 years old. I had a decent sized struggle to get them working with a modernish computer running windows 7, but I can record and edit now. Interface is MOTU 828 MKII, and software is Cubase SX 2.03.

My question is : is there a reason to upgrade to a new Cubase?

I am a one man band at the moment, I record all instruments live, no MIDI (although I might play with this at some point). I have enlisted my old bass player and drummer to help finish the tracks. My bass player has been recording onto garageband and sending me his tracks, which I then import into Cubase. I see the new cubase has a remote recording function which might make things easier, but so far my method has been ok.

Just wondering after 15 years if software is so much better, or is it still the same basic thing for a guy like me with simple needs?

Btw, I attempted to answer this question for myself by downloading the trial version of cubase 9.5, but it wouldn't work with my graphics card (too old I guess).
So an upgrade would probably be software + computer.

I have just gotten back into recording after 15 years. So my interface, software etc are all 15 years old. I had a decent sized struggle to get them working with a modernish computer running windows 7, but I can record and edit now. Interface is MOTU 828 MKII, and software is Cubase SX 2.03.

My question is : is there a reason to upgrade to a new Cubase?

I am a one man band at the moment, I record all instruments live, no MIDI (although I might play with this at some point). I have enlisted my old bass player and drummer to help finish the tracks. My bass player has been recording onto garageband and sending me his tracks, which I then import into Cubase. I see the new cubase has a remote recording function which might make things easier, but so far my method has been ok.

Just wondering after 15 years if software is so much better, or is it still the same basic thing for a guy like me with simple needs?

Btw, I attempted to answer this question for myself by downloading the trial version of cubase 9.5, but it wouldn't work with my graphics card (too old I guess).
So an upgrade would probably be software + computer.

You shouldn't have a graphics card issue as far as I know. I myself use onboard graphics, tho it only a few years old. How old is the computer?

I would say that the newer version of Cubase is way better, but honestly maybe you should try Reaper if you don't need the bells and whistles...

Way cheaper.

The real differences are just in bells and whistles and vst instruments and plug-ins. cubase is now 64 bit only - a nd lots of users were very fed up when 9.5 identifies the plugins as 32 bit and quarantines them. if your interest is midi and straightforward audio,SX is still ok - just missing the better synths and sounds.

Back