Is an old Digidesign 002 better sounding than some new(entry level) audio interface?

Roccoang

Hi all, setting up a home studio and needing an audio interface. Do the new products such as Focusrite Scarlett etc give better sound than an old digidesign 002? I can get one for $150. Thanks all.

Hi all, setting up a home studio and needing an audio interface. Do the new products such as Focusrite Scarlett etc give better sound than an old digidesign 002? I can get one for $150. Thanks all.

If I just HAD to have a ProTools rig I'd have no problem dropping $150 on a Digi 002R because I could ship it off to Black Lion Audio and get it modded, but it's too tight in a Digi 002 for the Black Lion mod and I hate paying for someone else's problem. Make sure it works.

Thanks Wheelema. Would I be better off just buying a newer smaller interface such as focusrite or steinberg?

this caught me, mentioning the digi002 as entry level.....funny how fast things change and tech gear is old.

interfaces need to provide a function for your needs, I/O's....they all have preamp's and converters.
preamps in a interface will be what it is, for entry level you're good to go.

you'll find most posts put convertors down the prioority list and the spec obsession is made mute by the other specs of your HR studio, and ability of speakers and rooms leaving the nano-effect of convertor distortion out of the picture.

the stuff today is all 24bit able and 48-192khz, so I dont see that as a concern.

firewire is dead, so USB 2.0 is probably a better way, USB 3.0 can make you feel up to date.

so probably I'd go with the new one...the Focusrite Scarlett, as you listed.

but then which one?

Thankyou coolcat, well said, very informative. Yeah I think it's probably good to go with the newer technology. The 002 would then require an older mac and I'll just find myself heading backwoods. I guess I should look at something with 4 inputs just in case in the future you want ti record drums. The search continues!

Back