Is it okay to have internet on your recording computer?

technically yes, there shouldn't be any problem.

Those who have a dedicated PC for recording would normally delete (using special software) anything to do with internet. As internet explorer eats resources.

Those who have only 1 pc that does it all - well, you can still make music with the same software. You might not be able to use as many plug-ins etc.

so go ahead, but bear in mind, it won't be as efficient as a dedicated PC.

good luck

d

Interfering with resources are the onl problem i can think of. Http, ftp, and all that don't generaly take much out of your computer, though large file downloading or a lot of java scrips or somthing may. Simple fix though, don't open any browsers while recording. Turning off other programs is a good idea also. Nothing worse that goddamn msn messenger sounds bleeding into a good take.

Good luck, you indeed will need it.
Angermeyer

Thanks

I have two computers a pc for general purpose and a mac with digi oo1 for my recording studio I layed down my first tracks on it yesterday and absolutely love it man.Say, can you link a mac and a pc together on the internet cause I have dsl on the pc already?

U can link the two through http, ftp, etc. of course But what way do you have in mind. You can't network with say, windows networking but there may be a cross platform networking program, don't know. if you want to transfer files bettween them you'll have to search around a bit.

Angermeyer

>Is it okay to have internet on your recording computer?

You may find that it will fill up your hard disc :rolleyes:

I'm using the dual boot method, it works quite well if you only have one machine...one partition is for family use, the other is for recording purposes...it's a nice compromise between a dedicated DAW and recording on the family PC...

Its all about DSL...I gotta have it maaann!!

Naw I was just wanting to take advantage of already having DSL on the other computer in case I did want to get on the net from my music room ten-fo.

Hardware wise, if both your mac and pc have compatible ethernet cards (some macs have firewire ports), you can link your pc and mac with a router hub, which will share your Internet. But i believe you would need some kind of cross platform networking program...Some macs also have kind of built in hubs which will network the two comps...I am not too familiar with macs as you can probably tell lol

Back