OK.....I have 1500 smackers to spend....

Walter Mitty

I want a solid, yet not too flashy, DAW system that I can build from scratch (this is my first time building). I want a 19" monitor, and I already have Soundblaster Live (which I want to keep--it's perfect for me right now). I also have a CD-RW drive and modem. Now I need everything else--tower case, motherboard, processor, memory, HD, etc....
Who wants to help me choose which parts to get, how much juice, and where to get them from? Thanks!!!

1 suggestion, if I had $1500 I'd buy the following:

- ASUS CUBX Mainboard.
- PIII 800 MHz, 100MHz FSB FC-PGA
- In-Win Mid Tower ATX, 250W is lots
- Quantum 20GB LM 7200RPM Hard Drives X 2
- Video Card - Nvidia Gforce based for gaming or a cheapo S3 or ATI 4MB if not required.
- 128MB PC-100 SDRAM (or 133MHz, depends how optimistic you are.)
- Removable Hard Drive Bracket

Dual boot your system (one for internet, games etc... the other just for recording) http://www.masterbooter.com , using your operating system of choice. Keep all your audio data on the second 20GB, the removable bracket is handy when/if you run out of space. Just buy another drive, put it in another or the same bracket.

My .5 cents.

dude, how about getting a dual monitor system. It will cost you the same as a 19" but it will give you more space and look way pro.

Hard to argue with Emeric's system, it pretty close to what I have. Personally I prefer one 19" monitor to two small ones, at least until someone puts two AGP slots on a motherboard. If you can fit 256 megs RAM into your budget I would do it. Good luck to ya....

MUHAAHHAAAAA I just hooked up another 21' monitor this is some cool shi&! Running Logic Audio on Dual 21' monitors and loving it. Check around the prices of monitors are dropping like crazy. Bought this Viewsonic P815 for 279.00 OTD. NEW

OK thats it!!! Someone tell me, how do you hook 2 monitors up to my Computer!!!

I know that Win98 is capable of it, I would just like to know how to do it. Do I need to buy a second video card, or what? And how do you adjust the settings (hardware/software) where I can run 2 applications at the same time on different screens?

This would be perfect to me, because I run Cubase VST, and Soundiver. I am always tweeking patches on my JV-1080 with Soundiver while running Cubase at the same time and its a pain in the ass Alt-Tabbing between the 2 programs.

Thanks,
Mike

install a second video card and your done. When you boot up windows it will see that you are running duel display. Then when you open programs hold down the ctrl key while launching them and they will become floaters and can be drug accross to the other screen. In the settings ctrl panel under display it will show monitor 1 & 2 just choose each and configure them to match up color and contrast wise and you are good to go.

Shakes,

Have you hugged your JoeMeek today?

Shakes - do you have one AGP and one PCI video card, or are they both PCI? I believe if you use one of each you need (or should) do some tweaking in the computer BIOS. Haven't tried it myself but it sounds like fun...

Back