Nuendo/Cubase: Applying Inserts Permantly

tpreager

After you have applied some insert plug-ins, how do you make the change permanent without having to save the preset, and then applying the plugin again to each audio clip on the channel?

Basically after applying about 20 insert plugins throughout my project, the machine started to crash, so I realize I have to test the plugin with the insert and then process it for each clip on the track. But what I'm looking for is a 'Apply insert permanently' button. Any ideas or other ways you can accomplish this?

Thanks,
Tim

I'm not sure I even understand the question. Do you want to apply the effect of the insert to the audio of the track permenantly? Or, do you want the plugin to remain on the channel permenetly? Or is it something else?

He is talking about perminently processing the wave... and right now Im having a brain fart and cant remember where to go in Cubase to do this Sorry :o

I think thats it!... If I was at home with the program in front of me I could go right to it.

I can't fire up Cubase right now either, but I'm pretty sure if you go to the "help" thing-a-ma-bob in cubase, and type freeze in, it will show you how to do it.

Carter said:
He is talking about perminently processing the wave... and right now Im having a brain fart and cant remember where to go in Cubase to do this Sorry :o

Yes, that is what I am talking about. However the freeze edit function seems to only apply to audio clips that you have already processed. The freeze edit option is grayed out when you have an insert applied to a track.

When do you use the freeze edit ?

Thanks,
Tim

select the waveform(s) and right click, then select Plug-ins -> and select your plugin. Set it up and hit Preview. If it sounds right, hit Process. The effect is then baked into your waveform and no further stress is put on the computer. Kepe in mind that you can't change a parameter of the plugin anymore after you do it.

Halion said:
select the waveform(s) and right click, then select Plug-ins -> and select your plugin. Set it up and hit Preview. If it sounds right, hit Process. The effect is then baked into your waveform and no further stress is put on the computer. Kepe in mind that you can't change a parameter of the plugin anymore after you do it.

Halion,

Yes, I know you can do this, but I don't want to preview a certain section of the clip. I want to use the ineserts with whatever plugins that apply there and then process the whole clip.

Actually, you can change a parameter of the plugins that you apply by the method that you have described above. If you right click the clip that you have processed and select 'Offline Process History' then you can change the settings of the plugin that you have already applied.

Still, anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Tim

Halion said:

Thats what I was thinking :confused: Well I know that im going to have to try some stuff out tonight

Carter said:
Thats what I was thinking :confused: Well I know that im going to have to try some stuff out tonight

You can, however go into "offline process history" (I think its under the audio tab when you have something selected) and it will show you every process that you applied to that clip...you can then undo or disable each process individually. So at least if you put an effect on that you decide you dont like later you can change it...

Another option could be to either set up an FX send channel, or route the tracks you want to effect thru a group channel and put the effect on the group channel instead of every individual one...taxing the cpu much less.

Yes, you can undo it, but I wouldn't depend on that. If you deside you wanna change it weeks and many mixing sessions later, you might not be able to because the undo list doesn't go back that far, and you might ofcourse not remember what you had the plugin set to at that moment.

Halion said:
Yes, you can undo it, but I wouldn't depend on that. If you deside you wanna change it weeks and many mixing sessions later, you might not be able to because the undo list doesn't go back that far, and you might ofcourse not remember what you had the plugin set to at that moment.

Halion,

trogdor is talking about the Offline Process History, not the the UNDO option. You can come back to a session weeks later and modify effects parameters that have been processed already.

So nobody knows how to apply the insert effects permanently without having to save a preset????

Thanks,
Tim

Back