this is not a recording question...yay

terragf

Hello!

I'm just curious if there is a software program out there that can help me with the following:

+ I have a bunch of soundcards
+ I plug say...an electric guitar into the audio input of one
+ I'd like to add/edit/modify effects on the audio that is coming in (in realtime)
+ Then have the output run to the amp of that guitar...

basically, have the sound make a pit stop at the computer, where somebody could add some reverb or something before sending it back out into the amp.

I suppose it could be done. However, the latency from the time you play it until it comes out the amp speaker would be pretty disturbing, I would imagine. Every software effect that you add will delay the signal just a little more. I don't really understand why you want to do this, but I suspect you'd be better off getting a zero latency card (if you don't already have one) and monitoring the dry signal off of that and/or using outboard effects.

Last edited:
scrubs said:
I suppose it could be done. However, the latency from the time you play it until it come out the amp speaker would be pretty disturbing, I would imagine. Every software effect that you add will delay the signal just a little more. I don't really understand why you want to do this, but I suspect you'd be better off getting a zero latency card (if you don't already have one) and monitoring the dry signal off of that and/or using outboard effects.

I can't imagine that it would be a whole lot more than a POD, which works on a similar principle but has specialized hardware. PODs are software effects is what I mean.

nroberts said:
I can't imagine that it would be a whole lot more than a POD, which works on a similar principle but has specialized hardware. PODs are software effects is what I mean.

The way the sound goes through a computer is a lot more complicated than the POD, hence the latency. You'd be surprised at the length of the path.

Ain't nothin wrong with giving something a try.
Get some decent low latency drivers for your soundcard (ASIO4ALL or kX Project if you have a supported Soundblaster) and give the demo of Guitar Rig a try. Guitar Rig will run stand-alone or as a plugin in a suitable host.
There's other options out there as well, but the above should help get your feet wet.

Back