Not A Newbie To Recording But To Pro Tools VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION

roytools

Hello everyone!

Here's my question.

I've been recording for 2 years now with an iMac and Logic. During that time, I've had intermittent problems with playback and recording. Meaning I literally had to freeze most of the tracks in the project, just to able to record new audio or just playback successfully.

My iMac has very good specs, and according to Apple and other people on the Logic forums should not be having this problem with projects of the size I intermittently have trouble with. From talking to other people i seems like just a very random thing, very hit or miss.
Apple swears the HD is ok so that's not the problem. I've used the tool in Logic that tells what's being taxed the most at any given moment of playback/recording and it gives random results.

So here's my question to you guys. As Pro Tools users, either PC or Mac is there more Logic and Sense to the problems you have? I.e. - have you had problems, and just upgraded RAM and HD and had them solved?
Can it be that it's just the SW algoritthms themselves in Logic that aren't as stable and good as PT for recording audio ? I've often had audio tracks just literally not play, when there were 20 or more of them in a project. Leading me to suspect the audio engine itself is flawed compared to PT.

I've also looked at PT forums and there seems to be far less frequent topics posted than Logic..also grabbing my eyes, and making me think it's just a more stable, logical tool than Logic

Just to be clear, my goal is not at all to start a PC vs MAc or Logic vs PT war here :-) But simply to make my new purchase, my new setup, Logical somehow, not be chasing flaws, something that makes no sense. I.e. - there's a problem, then there's a REASON why, and you fix it.

and not by spending days with your iMac user preferences, or swapping out Mouses, cause the one youre' using interferes with your interface (a Scarlett Focus rite in my case). etc .

Hi there,
It does sound like there's a specific problem rather than things just being how they should be,
but please tell us your imac specs (including HDD RPM or model) and outline how intense your average session would be - Track count/plugins/virtual instruments.

As BSG asks, are your sessions on the system drive? Additionally, if you're using sample libraries are they on the system HDD?

Download DriveDX and run a health check on the disk.
There's a free trial - This software will give detailed specific information about various properties of the drive, but also a very simple % health summary.
I've stayed ahead of the curve on failing drives for years with that program!

I'd also recommend running a memory test app for at least a good few hours. Either than or apple built-in AHT.
If I suspect a memory issue, I usually run this (free) for an evening.

Of course, also make sure that your version of Logic is supported by your OS version, and that your interface is supported and using the appropriate OS version drivers, if applicable.

To answer your question directly, no. I don't find error reports from ProTools to be any more accurate or sensible.
In fact, I'd consider them to be largely random or BS.
If I ever get an error which, thankfully, I haven't in a long time, I set about finding the cause myself from an 'I know nothing' troubleshooting perspective.
Start at the start - Rule everything out. :)

Heh...The Protools section is pretty quiet, admittedly, but this poll shows PT users as being around 8% of the forum.
Something like Reaper or Cubase is going to get a lot more traffic purely because of the size of the user base.

i've tried both ways.

- Running my projects on an external drive, one Thunderbolt and another one, and had issues
- Running my projects on my Mac HD.

I actually used to program the PC side, of software systems that had imbedded talking to a PC code, and there always seemed to be a logic to our bugs. Is there something so inherently random about recording audio thru an interface ? i'm trying to understand why there seems to be no sense or rhyme or reason. I've had these playback problems as early as the first day I had the computer when I did a 3 track midi project as well.

i've tried both ways.

- Running my projects on an external drive, one Thunderbolt and another one, and had issues
- Running my projects on my Mac HD.

I actually used to program the PC side, of software systems that had imbedded talking to a PC code, and there always seemed to be a logic to our bugs. Is there something so inherently random about recording audio thru an interface ? i'm trying to understand why there seems to be no sense or rhyme or reason. I've had these playback problems as early as the first day I had the computer when I did a 3 track midi project as well.

If you've had problems from day one with a small session then clearly there's an issue.
We'd be blindly guessing what that is, though, without further information.

Back