[SOLVED] Not getting Stereo in my headset

HarbingerNo9

As a preface I am new to the audio world. I have a two pc streaming setup. The issue I am having is that my game audio is not in stereo but in mono. I have trouble shot the source of the issue down to my mixer. The game audio comes out of my Line Out of my gaming PC and into channels 7-8 of my Mackie 802VLZ4. The jack out of the PC is 1/8 stereo and the input to the mixer is dual 1/4 TS. The Headphone jack on the mixer will only output Mono. I am very confused. The Cables are not the issue as I have swapped them all around. I think it's just a lack of understanding how the mixer works on my part. I would appreciate help. I will leave I diagram of my setup. Not sure if it will help. Please ask if more info is needed. Also its isnt my PC. I get stereo when I plug directly into it with headphones.
mackie.jpg

Try plugging the left output TS plug from your PC to channel 5, and right TS to channel 8, now pan 5/6 to the left, and 7/8 to the right, and monitor it and see it you're getting stereo at the headphones. It sounds like the mixer is summing 7 & 8 to mono.

Hi Chris,

Just for clarification, when you say 'mono', are you meaning sound from just one side of the headphones or both ear pieces have sound, but there seems to be a lack of left and right separation?

Does this happen on Ch 5-6 with the Streaming PC sound card or just Ch 7-8?

From the block diagram in the mixers user manual it appears you have things hooked up correctly.

Well, one takes the #2 mixer out of the chain, also. Well well, everything out of the chain and gets each signal working one by one. In wondering about the MONO last night, I was thinking it wouldn't hurt to inspect the jacks ?

My first thought was that you had left the pan pots both central but that is a stereo channel and therefore has a balance control.

So, you have not hit the Solo button on that channel have you? That defaults to a mono feed.

Dave.

So, you have not hit the Solo button on that channel have you? That defaults to a mono feed.

Dave.
Good catch!! (maybe :) ). The solo button does appear it would kill the other channel(s) as well, unless a couple more are pushed in(?)

Yup, as Dave noted it sums left and right to mono and reroutes a bit differently to get to the headphone jack.

Are you wanting to monitor that channel by itself or can the others be in the mix also? All the channels go to the Main L/R bus. If you have the 'Main Mix' control turned up and 'Main Mix' button depressed that should route the left and right signal out to the headphone jack in stereo.

If you're fairly good at 'map' reading, there's a Block Diagram in the back of the mixer manual that can be a good guide as to how the signal gets through the mixer. The Solo function block is shown in the channels and that it sums left and right.

Yup, as Dave noted it sums left and right to mono and reroutes a bit differently to get to the headphone jack.

Are you wanting to monitor that channel by itself or can the others be in the mix also? All the channels go to the Main L/R bus. If you have the 'Main Mix' control turned up and 'Main Mix' button depressed that should route the left and right signal out to the headphone jack in stereo.

If you're fairly good at 'map' reading, there's a Block Diagram in the back of the mixer manual that can be a good guide as to how the signal gets through the mixer. The Solo function block is shown in the channels and that it sums left and right.

With the Main Mix depressed and turned all the way up there is no sound out of headphone jack w/o solo depressed. So I guess the new issue is how do monitor channels w/o solo depressed.

I figured it out with your help. I failed to realize that even with one solo depressed I wouldn't be able to hear. You were very helpful ty.

Happy to be of service H!
Do note, that HA400 headphone amp* does not HAVE to be fed from a headphone source. It has a relatively high input impedance and can be driven from almost any output, you just need to cobble up the right wires into a TRS plug.

*I have one, remarkable good for the money. BTW you can run them from an 8x1.5V AA battery pack (or SLA) handy for location or if a dreaded earth loop arises.

Dave.

Back