Noob needs advice on interface

DarthDiggler

Hey all, first post here. I've been looking into info on recording for a while now, and I'm very torn between two options....

1) Buy a USB interface and record onto my PC with reaper.

Pros: PC is already next to my guitar rig, and Reaper is pretty cheap

Cons: There are about a bazillion audio interfaces out there, and I have no idea which ones are good. Previous attempts at recording directly to the PC had horrible latency.

2) Buy a multitracker and record the tracks there, then import to reaper or garageband.

Pros: don't have to worry about latency or compatibility of the interface. Classic standalone controls are pretty simple. More sliders!

Cons: an 8 track is generally more expensive than just buying an interface. Takes up more space.

I'm only going to be recording one track at a time, POSSIBLY two at once at some point. I have a home built WIN 7 PC with plenty of processor and RAM that I'll be using for editing. I also have an iMac with garageband that I could use (the PC is arms length from my amp, so would be much easier to use).

I would like to keep this under $250. I saw a Fostex 8 track for about $250, and that's pretty much the max of my budget. What would you guys use given the choice? I think PC would be the simplest method, but I really hate messing around and tweaking settings just to get a stupid interface to work properly. The biggest thing holding me back are the reviews I read online. Half of them are 5 stars, totally poitive, then the other half are 2 stars, with all sorts of problems... I just don't know which half to believe.

any suggestions?

Get the M-Audio Fast Track Pro. It'll do everything you need and more. There's virtually no software tweaking involved. Just install the drivers, plug it in, and use all the knobs on the device for your settings.

I'm only going to be recording one track at a time, POSSIBLY two at once at some point. I have a home built WIN 7 PC with plenty of processor and RAM that I'll be using for editing.

any suggestions?

With USB2.0 latency depends on their drivers ( the good companies update and even ASIO4ALL is pretty quick ) and your processor, if you have a super fast processor and you disable a lot of the visual crap you dont need in Windows ( Aero etc ) you wont have a problem.

I suggest the Audio Kontrol 1 for the included bundle. Cheap brand new on ebay.

Get the M-Audio Fast Track Pro. It'll do everything you need and more. There's virtually no software tweaking involved. Just install the drivers, plug it in, and use all the knobs on the device for your settings.

Some of the reviews on musician's friend absolutely BLAST this thing....

Lots of reviewers complaining about latency, lots of reviews complaining of crackling / hissing / popping in the audio, and it's apparently not USB 2.0 either... I guess it has 3.5/5 overall review, but these are the things that worry me about buying one of these interfaces. I swear every one I look at, for every 3 great reviews there's one that says stay away.

Another thing I just thought of is that I have WIN 7 64 bit on that PC, and I just recently had an issue with a USB midi interface that had no drivers available for my system. Yet another consideration... Is it really this complicated, or am I just over thinking this?

Some of the reviews on musician's friend absolutely BLAST this thing....

Lots of reviewers complaining about latency, lots of reviews complaining of crackling / hissing / popping in the audio, and it's apparently not USB 2.0 either... I guess it has 3.5/5 overall review, but these are the things that worry me about buying one of these interfaces. I swear every one I look at, for every 3 great reviews there's one that says stay away.

Another thing I just thought of is that I have WIN 7 64 bit on that PC, and I just recently had an issue with a USB midi interface that had no drivers available for my system. Yet another consideration... Is it really this complicated, or am I just over thinking this?

Deffo go for USB 2.0 ! Relax and check out the Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1 , all your wildest dreams will come true.

Keep in mind that firewire interfaces are not immune to latency. USB 2.0 is just as good for what you are wanting.

I would refer any of the Lexicons. I have personally used the Alpha and have heard many great things about the Omega...I'm pretty sure they come with Cubase too.

Hey all, first post here. I've been looking into info on recording for a while now, and I'm very torn between two options....

1) Buy a USB interface and record onto my PC with reaper.

Pros: PC is already next to my guitar rig, and Reaper is pretty cheap

Cons: There are about a bazillion audio interfaces out there, and I have no idea which ones are good. Previous attempts at recording directly to the PC had horrible latency.

2) Buy a multitracker and record the tracks there, then import to reaper or garageband.

Pros: don't have to worry about latency or compatibility of the interface. Classic standalone controls are pretty simple. More sliders!

Cons: an 8 track is generally more expensive than just buying an interface. Takes up more space.

I'm only going to be recording one track at a time, POSSIBLY two at once at some point. I have a home built WIN 7 PC with plenty of processor and RAM that I'll be using for editing. I also have an iMac with garageband that I could use (the PC is arms length from my amp, so would be much easier to use).

I would like to keep this under $250. I saw a Fostex 8 track for about $250, and that's pretty much the max of my budget. What would you guys use given the choice? I think PC would be the simplest method, but I really hate messing around and tweaking settings just to get a stupid interface to work properly. The biggest thing holding me back are the reviews I read online. Half of them are 5 stars, totally poitive, then the other half are 2 stars, with all sorts of problems... I just don't know which half to believe.

any suggestions?

Keep in mind I'm probably more of a newbie than you, however just for sng's I'll chime in. I'm using an "entry level" HP laptop, 250g HD 2.20GHz and 2g of Ram with Sony Acid Pro 7. I use my Boss BR 600 8 track recorder as an interface and go right into the mic input on the laptop and after adjustments have no discernible latency triggering Sampletank via my keyboard controller and Amplitube via the HI-Z input on the Boss or just triggering the internal sounds of the Boss. You can get interfaces for dirt cheap, but if you buy an 8 track you can use that to record directly and/or as your interface. Unless your PC in really ancient it only takes a little fiddling to take care of the latency. At least that's what I've found.

DO NOT BUY THE M-AUDIO! Its garbage...

The audio Kontrol is pretty good but I just spent WEEKS looking into interfaces around this price range. I also use reaper and have windows 7 (I love them both) and I bought the emu-0404 and it is AMAZING!

Here is a link

http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?category=610&subcategory=611&product=18388

Ask anyone who knows, this is the best interface in this price range for what you want. I have yet to see a bad review on it and I absolutely love it! Great software bundle too!

Interesting, I have an M-audio 2496 and dont think its clear or well defined at all.
I bought an EMU a while back because it had superior specs to the M-audio but it didnt work, and the salesman said they had alot of failures with them. It would be great if they worked that out. They have a PCI-e out very affordable, might be worth a chance.

The PCI-e is not as good. It has reliability issues. The e-mu 0404 usb does not however and a lot of people think the USB has issues because the PCI-e does. They get them confused. I have windows 7 and the e-mu works perfect with reaper. Drivers were easy to install and it could not have been a smoother process.

I use my Boss BR 600 8 track recorder as an interface and go right into the mic input on the laptop ..... You can get interfaces for dirt cheap, but if you buy an 8 track you can use that to record directly and/or as your interface. Unless your PC in really ancient it only takes a little fiddling to take care of the latency. At least that's what I've found.

That's not an interface by the accepted definition. Thats acting as a preamp. An audio interface replaces the role of the onboard sound card and should have far superior sound quality.

This is a standalone recorder and direct interface.

I use my Boss BR 600 8 track recorder as an interface and go right into the mic input on the laptop.

I'm not trying to thrash you but recording into the computer's soundcard, no matter what kind of preamp or mixer you have before it, is only going to sound as good as the soundcard. You probably know this, but just to let other users know, the soundcard shipped with your computer is usually very low-grade, just good enough to hear the computer's sounds and to make some Skype calls :D Using an interface, however, will actually record what your micrphone and preamps are cabable of, instead of having the quality being limited by the soundcard. Recording into the soundcard is a good beginner solution and you can always upgrade to an interface any time, though.

I suppose we could do with some information on what you want to do, cause we can all offer advice on a general subject and more than likely somewhere along the line argue about something, and so on! lol

So....

How many inputs do you need?

Do you need preamps? How many?

What kind of outputs do you require?

I personally have tried three different devices in the last week and I can say that I liked the Focusrite Saffire Pro the best out of them all. It's firewire though so if you don't have one on your pc you'll have to purchase a card (35 bucks for a decent one). Their tech support was great as well. Replied to a query I had via email in 24 hours. Plus it came with very useful Focusrite plugins for your recording software. That was 299.99 though. I know it's a bit above your budget.

I personally have tried three different devices in the last week and I can say that I liked the Focusrite Saffire Pro the best out of them all. It's firewire though so if you don't have one on your pc you'll have to purchase a card (35 bucks for a decent one). Their tech support was great as well. Replied to a query I had via email in 24 hours. Plus it came with very useful Focusrite plugins for your recording software. That was 299.99 though. I know it's a bit above your budget.

Focusrite is a great company. Around this price range, their saffire 6 USB probably has the best preamps along with the e-mu 0404 USB, BUT that unit has usb 1.1 :(

IMO there is nothing under $200 that even compares to the e-mu 0404 USB for audio interfaces.

Focusrite is a great company. Around this price range, their saffire 6 USB probably has the best preamps along with the e-mu 0404 USB, BUT that unit has usb 1.1 :(

IMO there is nothing under $200 that even compares to the e-mu 0404 USB for audio interfaces.

You're nuts not to get the Audio Kontrol 1 - initially retailed for Plus $500 now reduced to clear to make way for new models next year.

Sound:
This thing has a nice clean and fat sound (probably due to the sampling rate). Nothing is lost. You must have a decent PC with good usb ports because this unit seems to tax it pretty good. I compare to my friends Emu recordings and we both agree mine sounds better. The headphone could be louder but again mercy on the port. Great dynamics!

From all the research I've done, it came down to 3 interfaces:

e-mu 0404 USB
Audio Kontrol 1
Saffire 6 USB

The e-mu 0404 had the best sound quality, compatibility, control options, software, and design. The biggest difference between the Audio Kontrol and the e-mu is the control options and the sound quality. IMO the e-mu wins both categories. I'd say look at the 3 above and disregard the rest. Keep in mind though the saffire 6 has USB 1.0 :( EPIC FAIL IMO. I was also not impressed by what I heard of the Audio Kontrol's sound quality. Good luck!

How did you investigate the sound quality ? Did you see the quote where EMU owner conceded the AK1 sounded better ?

This is great drama ! I can't wait for the next instalment....;)
Will Mark play his ace ? Will Foxy trump the ace with a royal flush ? What will the OP do ? Will he buy this ? Will the second mouse get the cheese ? Questions ! Questions !

Back