Noob asks, "What should I do with this computer?"

Rich_S

Here are the specs on the computer (and its hard drive) that I'm planning to use for introductory DAW recording. I haven't yet decided on the software. For my purposes, it'll be used for recording guitars, bass and vocals, probably with sequenced drums. At least one of my kids will want to use it for more modern, urban-type stuff, meaning more in-the-box work, loops, etc. All of this will be learning-curve home recording; we're not looking to make anything fancy.

This is also my son's online gaming computer, so it has a pretty good graphics card with two monitors. For recording, is it good enough as-is, or are there some obvious upgrades I should make before I even get started?

Edit: Ha. I just looked at the screen shot for the first time. Obviously, an additional hard drive is in order. What else?

sys_specs.JPG

Well, I would say to start with cleaning up crap you don't need on the hard C: drive. You don't have much left there. Remove whatever programs that are filling up that drive. Make sure to do it with your son and hopefully not delete something he needs. Then defrag that thing. You will want to use an external or separate drive for recording project folders and audio files for sure. No way that drive at it's limits is going to keep up if trying to record to it. Hell, it reminds me of myself-overworked and ready to hire help...

Upgrading ram is cheap and a worthy upgrade. Keep in mind, if you use a 32-bit version of recording software, it won't do you any good really. Not for that particular program anyway. The gaming side of the PC's use will likely get benefit. Just find out what worthless crap is on that hard drive and get rid of it. Then if you wish to keep the programs on there, mirror the drive to another 1TB drive. You will likely be ok if you get under 75% drive usage and record to another external drive. Upgrade later if you need to.

BTW, best bet for external drive is to buy an actual HDD and place it in an external case. 7200 RPM 1TB Barracuda is around $70. USB 3.0 external drive case around $20-30. Don't just buy an external drive for backups. Most of them are slow speed drives not worthy of streaming audio projects efficiently

Last edited:
The box has plenty of room for more drives internally, but the motherboard only has two SATA2 ports. Better to add a USB adapter and go with an external drive, or to add a SATA port multiplier and stick the extra drives inside?

Well, yeah, obviously. Interface and DAW are yet to be determined. Just trying to get the computer up to snuff first.

The box has plenty of room for more drives internally, but the motherboard only has two SATA2 ports. Better to add a USB adapter and go with an external drive, or to add a SATA port multiplier and stick the extra drives inside?

I'm not qualified to answer that question. I just recommend what has worked for me. I have two internal drives running in RAID1. More space for more drives, but I like being able to put my recording drive in a fire safe when I go out of town. :)

I have never had any issue with external drives, and I run quite hefty projects. If you use a USB interface, you will want to run it from a separate USB controller from the audio streaming drive though. In other words, run the interface through a USB2.0 port and the drive from USB 3.0. In my experience, things go funny when sharing. Interfaces like to be left alone.

Back